View Single Post
Old January 29, 2011, 06:37 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the quick and informative replies everyone!!

The motherboard i'm currently using came in and HP Pavillion ELITE computer I bought a little over a year ago through futureshop, Speccy tells me its a Pegatron VIOLET MB.

I was unaware that the CPU was an AM2+ model, i just assumed all phenom II's were AM3.

The main reason for trying to upgrade to a newer motherboard was that this one has one PCIe 2.0 x16 slot and then has 4 PCIe x4 slots, so no chances for crossfireX with this board.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a newer AM2+ motherboard to get CrossfireX capabilities, or do the newer AM3 boards support older AM2+ chipset?

If i could keep the older ram for the time being and just upgrade the PSU, GPU and possibly MB, that would definitely grow my budget for those three items, meaning i could not skimp out on any and possibly go with a 69xx card with a better PSU and MB combo.

Thanks again for all the help guys!!

EDIT:

Was just on newegg a few minutes ago looking around after what you all said, and I came up with a few options-

XFX HD-6850 = Newegg.ca - XFX HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
MSI 790XT-G45 MB = Newegg.ca - MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX 850w PSU = Newegg.ca - XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-CAB9) 850W ATX12V v2.2 & ESP12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Now I know the MB doesn't have USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0gb/s, but those aren't things i'm looking into in the next year or so, and more than likely another upgrade will come around in a year or more for a new CPU/MB combo, hopefully this should be more than able to let me play SC2, BF:BC2, Mafia II, F1 2010, NBA 2K11 and all those games on MAX settings.

Input?? :)

EDIT 2.0:

Just noticed someone asked me what resolution I use, that would be 1920x1080.
DOOMLANKY

Last edited by doomlanky; January 29, 2011 at 07:53 AM.