View Single Post
Old January 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Again, it is a self-created monopoly or nothing. Without that lone company providing access and spending the money for the infrastructure to bring access to the rural users, they would have no internet access at all.

UBB isn't going away and I am happy for that. What I don't like is the completely idiotic limits some ISPs like Videotron put upon it. To me, putting a 60GB cap on an ultra fast connection is counter-intuitive and runs against changing market realities. If someone wants more bandwidth, charge them appropriately for it in blocks of preset amounts and I am sure the money will start flowing.
I'll probably get a warning or maybe even ban for this, but I'm going to say it anyways. You're an idiot for approving of UBB TODAY. I can understand the conversation we had a few months ago in my own UBB Petition thread. Back then, nothing was concrete and we didn't know what the caps were so a lot of the discussion and thing we had and on the Interweb was mainly speculation. However small ISPs such as Primus and Yak has shown what UBB is supposed to do: Raise prices while providing customers with crappier service that's comparable to what Bell retail customers get.

I suggest you read this and then rethink whether you want to support UBB or not.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1621527~7113613720f25003c7128aa38c32efe5/CRTC-2010-802-Vaxination-Petition.pdf

As for Videotron, I'm not sure what's going on in Quebec, but I'm pretty sure that there aren't any major ISP providers in Quebec besides Videotron, making them a monopoly which in turn makes them free to do what they want. As for other major Canadian cities, what we got is an oligopoly. If one ISP follows suit, the others will surely follow as well.

Take a look at the wireless infrastructure of Canada. Before, receiving text messages were free and you only got charged for text messages that we were sent out. Then, one of the big 3 which I believe was Bell (see a trend?) introduced a 15 cent per text message received fee, then soon everyone else followed suit. What we have here is in my opinion, the following:

If one of the big companies, whether they're ISP or wireless providers, introduce a cash grab such as UBB or pay to receive text messages and it gets implemented successfully because no one tried to stop it, then everyone else will follow suit. Their goal is to make profit, not serve consumers.