View Single Post
Old January 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is by far the best guide to SSDs that I have seen! I'm very impressed that you also cover details about setting up your SSD in Windows to improve life span/performance.

One thing that is missing though and this has to do with the reason for TRIM, ITGC, etc:
-If you have been using a drive without running GC, TRIM, done a quick format when not in your OS (i.e. re-installed the OS), or didn't have AHCI enabled, you need to manually wipe the empty blocks afaik. Basically, as pointed out above, if the controller doesn't actually delete a block (by physically writing to each cell), those cells become like dead cells and can degrade the performance of your SSD (even with TRIM). So, if for any reason you might have this scenario (usually by meeting one of the first 4 suggest criteria), you need to manually cleanse your SSD. You can use the maintenance tools as suggested above, but as long as you have ITGC or TRIM (properly) set up, you can use something like CCleaner to "(securely) wipe all free space" the long way and make it write a 0 to every cell. I know I'm not explaining it well, but basically, if in doubt, just erase all free space (a quick format isn't the same as it doesn't physically write to each cell). As with any write intensive process, you should not do this often! There should be no need to do this more than 3 times a year unless you repeatedly make mistakes (i.e. re-install your OS without properly erasing the drive first as windows will quick format the drive to re-install on).