View Single Post
Old January 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default My Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
Not too shabby. The downside to going with a solid wood is it can cup on you, (unless its quarter sawn).

1x8 or 1x10 of maple is also around $10 per ft. (not that you need much).

When I've built drawers, I've used a panel moulding like below. Or I've ripped some strips similiar to what you have, except rounded over the leading edge and had it proud 1/4". (So you'd have a 1" x 7/16" or so trim peice)

Hmm. I am likely to end up with solid maple drawers in the end. I think I will go down to the local specialty place and maybe talk to a few of the woodworkers there about selecting the ideal pieces for the drawer faces. I like that panel moulding there, but in this case, I'm not sure all the fluting will go with the theme of the desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcowboy View Post
sweet build! I so want to build one when i have the space... I've worked in a cabinet shop for a while, i wish i could have seen this sooner... edge tape would have saved tonnes of work! Oh well, should coulda woulda... lots to say, but it doesn't matter, the result is going to look great! and definately go for solid drawer faces, looks so much better! good luck
Cool that you worked in a cabinet shop for a while - that must have been fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
Some people like edge banding, some like using solid stock. Little more durable.

Wheres the updates?
Agreed - I've not had the best experience with edge banding and decided to go the solid route this time. I think the next time I plan this out, however, I will go with 1/8" or 1/16" thickness instead of 1/4". I had no idea the table saw would be so agreeable about spittin out strips of maple like that.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been quite busy.

I'll put up some new shots of my progress sometime this weekend, but here's some food for thought in the meantime.

This is the upstairs of the place I moved into a few months ago, and where the desk will eventually go. It'll fit nicely in the space, about 6 or 7 inches wider than the current desk you see there, and it will occupy most of the length of the hallway.

My current desk is a real pain in the butt. I purchased it used last year, and needed the smallest desk possible since I was living in a little bachelor on my own, in fact, my computer desk was beside the kitchen table and it was the only way I could get any work done! My knees always get jammed underneath the keyboard tray, so this new desk will resolve that issue as well! ;)

There she is. Yes, it's a Guild Wars mousepad that I got for free with the game so many years ago. Yes, that's a BMW M5, the sweetest kind there is / ever was. Yes, it's a crappy desk.

And here's my current system, an old Pentium 4 3.2Ghz. The Coolermaster CM690 was upgraded to only a year ago or so (Thanks sis).

You can see I had to cut away a portion of the desk in the back to make the tower fit. Hilarious, I know.

Take care, I'll get you guys a nice big update posted on the weekend ;)