Old January 7, 2011, 07:32 PM
Allstar

Power consumption test:
System standby: 139W

CPU in full usage: 257W

Compared with power consumption of default clock rate:
Power consumption of system standby: 65% higher
Power consumption of CPU in full usage: 105% higher
It seems that the consumption increase so much, but as far as 5GHz high clock rate and high performance platform is concerned, 257W can be acceptable.

By the way, is 5GHz the maximum for 2600K under air-cooling? If fortunately, 5.1GHz can be achieved steadily.
CPU 100 X 51 => 5100.4MHz(Turbo Boost disabled; C1E disabled)
DDR3 2133.6 CL7 10-7-27 1T 1.650V

Hyper PI 32M X8=> 11m 48.382s
Fritz Chess Benchmark => 40.11/19251

As to the latest Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 CPU in 2011, 2300~2500K all use L3 Cache 6MB, and only 2600/2600K is equipped with 8MB.
K series are 2500K and 2600K, but other Sandy Bridge CPU, with limited scope of bus speed, may only have 5~8% overclocking scope.
Therefore, LGA 1155 is categorised definitely.
To the consumers who want to overclock, choosing K series is suggested, but with higher prices.
And most of the other Sandy Bridge CPUs may be suitable to the consumers who donít overclock.
About the consideration above, Iím not sure that Intel is overconfident with Sandy Bridge performance, or that Intel wants to let LGA 1156 survive.

Originally, I thought that the reason why clock rate and power consumption of LGA 1155 platform made great progress was that 45nm manufacturing process became 32nm.
However, afterwards I find that all Sandy Bridge CPUs are built in GPU,
so it will be more convenient for users in future to use the chipset with display output function, such as H67.
Moreover, another advantage of this new platform is that it has higher performance of DDR3 and Turbo Boost 2.0 technology.

I use new generation P67 chipset in the test.
When manufacturers release P67 motherboards in the market, their prices, I estimate, will be a bit expensive than the prices of P55 motherboards.
BIOSTAR TP67XE is still featured parity, and the price is about US$160.
The motherboard supports the latest USB 3.0 and SATA3; unique BIO-Remote2 multimedia software; and THX TrueStudioPRO sound effects technology.
Furthermore, TP67XE also shows great performance of overclocking, so it can be a high C/P P67 product.
BIOSTAR now also aims for supporting multimedia software and hardware technology, making its products more competitive in the market.

I shared much overclocking experience about X58 and P55 before,
and I shall continue overclocking and analysing P67 motherboards from various brands in future.
If there is something this article doesnít mention, I shall renew related information in the future reports.
Finally, I hope with the release of new generation products, the prices of previous generation platforms can be lowered faster.
So, consumers can choose more platforms with good quality at bargain prices.

This article is also in my blog WIND 3C. Any comments are always welcome :)