Thread: Completed Project Water FTW
View Single Post
Old January 4, 2011, 02:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Project Water FTW

Well, I've been skipping along happily with some lovely air cooling for as long as I can remember, but water cooling has always been something I was extremely interested in. My Noctua NH-U12P has followed me for three builds thus far, and is getting pretty long in the tooth, so it's time to replace it, in a big way.

The idea sprang up after seeing how much extra cash I would have after working while being home for the holidays. So, with the help from the HWC water cooling community, Rison, MpG, and Alpine for selling me some quality components, and Dazmode/NCIX for my CPU water block and a bunch of fittings, I'll be sinking more time and money into my hobby!

Even though my current system is in my signature, I have in my system right now.

• Intel Core i7 860 [Thanks Alpine, currently running at 3.8GHz, 1.258v]
  • 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600, 9-9-9-24, 4x2GB
  • EVGA P55 FTW SLi motherboard [Where the name of the project comes from, love the board, so nice]
  • MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II Gold Edition, flashed to a GTX 470
  • And of course, hard drives and all that jazz.

The entire machine will be housed in my trusty Cooler Master HAF 932.

Now, starting out, I was thinking of just cooling the processor and saving some cash, but with getting a lot of my parts used, I decided why not cool the video card too. So, without further delay, the water cooling parts list.

• TFC X-Changer 360 w/ 6x Noctua NF-P12s in Push/Pull
  • Swiftech MCP355 w/ EK X-Top
  • Swiftech Micro Reservoir revision 2
  • EK Supreme HF Revision 2 Plexi/Nickel
  • EK FC470 Full Cover GTX 470 block Plexi/Nickel
  • Primochill PrimoFlex LRT clear 1/2" ID clear tubing
  • Various barbs, compression fittings, and angle adapters, most of them being from Bitspower

I started gathering these things mid December, with the first things to come being the radiator, bitspower barbs, pump, and processor arriving. I didn't even really touch them other than to take pictures until I returned to my apartment from Christmas break on the 2nd. (All pictures are clickable)

Arriving at my apartment, I couldn't help but play around with the components I had. More parts from Rison were on my kitchen table, courtesy of my room mate.

The MCP355 is a pretty powerful little pump, though it was only driving water through the radiator/reservoir. I found it a little loud, but there was a bit of air in the loop, and the pump was sitting directly on the table. Picking it up by the tubing pretty much eliminated all pump noise other than the air bubbles going through it and the radiator.

Later that same evening, I installed the i7 860 from Alpine, and removed the Noctuas from my case. They were cleaned and mounted to the radiator.

This thing looks just plain imposing. Then again, this is my first loop.

The other thing that was really bothering me was how I was going to mount the reservoir. After seeing it in person, and noticing it came with Velcro, it spawned a perfect idea for a mounting point. I moved my DVD drive to the bottom 5.25" slot, and the reservoir is now Velcro'd to the inside of the 5.25" bays. It's pretty solid, and allows me to see the water levels and pretty easily fill it.

I'm still playing around with tubing ideas. I have a good idea of how my flow will go (Res>Pump>GPU>CPU>Rad>), I just can't decide on which ports to use on the reservoir.

Now I'm only waiting on a couple more parts. The CPU waterblock has been ordered from Dazmode, Possibility of a used GPU water block here soon, and finally, my Bitspower compression fittings will be ordered from NCIX on Friday with my Brother's parts. Everything is set to come in When I'm back home the next weekend to help my Brother out with his build, and I'll be bringing all of my parts back to my apartment on the 16th to finish my build.

Very excited.

Last edited by Nostril; May 2, 2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: -