Thread: Work in progress Storm Sniper Watercooling
View Single Post
Old December 28, 2010, 01:36 PM
MVP

Default Storm Sniper Watercooling

I've had a Cooler Master Storm Sniper for close to 8 months or so and I've always loved the case. Recently I upgraded my AMD rig into an i7-860 that I managed to get for a great deal. The Storm Sniper has some great air flow and my Noctua did a great job on a previous QX6850 I was also using. I got a used Biostar Tpower i55 board also (this might be the cheapest i7 build ever done) and I'm pretty happy with it (hit an easy 4.1 with just bumping FSB and everything AUTO - CPU-Z Validator 3.1 ). The first problem was that I couldn't get my Cooler Master R4s onto the Noctua becauase of the tall heatsinks surrounding the socket. I can get the original stock fan on but not able to get anything done in push/pull which means the temperatures are way too high for comfort when overclocking starts to get into the 4Ghz range.

The obvious solution is watercooling, or so it seemed. Managed to find someone getting rid of a bunch of old watercooling gear and a EK waterblock later and I'm almost ready to set it all up. Here is the watercooling gear I scraped together.

MCP655 12V pump
120.3 Rad
EK Supreme HF waterblock
Swiftech Micro Res

So it brings me to my goals for this build.

1. Get the above WC gear into a Storm Sniper
2. Make the whole thing not look like the ghetto rigged, used pile of parts that it is.
3. Do something to make the Tpower board not look so bloody ugly <- probably not possible

Here is the i7 in its current home my old CM 690

Thats all until I get the Storm Sniper apart and cleaned up, 8 months of running without opening it makes for a lot of dust.

Last edited by Rasparthe; December 30, 2010 at 08:45 PM.