View Single Post
Old November 30, 2010, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default Hole Time!

Had time to cut that last 8' sheet into the 28" sections, and cut a hole in the surface portion of the desk. The surface portion, fyi, will be composed of two 8' pieces of 3/4" plywood, so its total thickness will be 1.5" thick.

The upper plywood will have a hole that is .5" wider all around than the board beneath it.

Only had time to do one hole tonight - the lower portion, thankfully, because I made a few small mistakes!

Sorry about the photos folks, I had already uploaded these to imageshack and forgot to resize them, so here are the thumbnails since I don't have the original stock photos on me right now. From now on, they'll be properly sized at 800x600, which I feel is a fair compromise for detail and bandwidth.

I started off with a carpenters angle, measured off my lines with a pencil and then made a rough cut with a jigsaw. I then clamped a straight-edge lined up with the edges (measured) and ran a router across it to create the smooth finish.

I messed up a bit, going a bit too far with the router on one end, and then not far enough on the other end - I'll have to sand and file to square it off.

Sorry I didn't take too many pictures - the next hole will have more!

Thankfully the shop is heated, here's one of the heaters - it went down to -8*C that evening!

Here's the mess for the night!

And, the hero of the night! Mastercraft Plunge Router!!

And, welp, that's it for the initial blast! I've got some pics from this weekend when I was in the shop, but I haven't had time to go through them yet. Stay tuned! More and more to come, right until past Christmas unless I get into top gear!