View Single Post
Old November 15, 2010, 10:04 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunoia View Post
Welcome to HWC!

I still have a LOT to learn, so these are just a few points to get things going until the smart guys chime in:

1 - If you can shop the listed components out to roughly $700 CND, you're getting great value. Shopping for value, leaning AMD, there may be other CPU/mobo permutations where you can unlock cores and OC to save a few bucks, but this is pretty strong kit out of the box.

2 - You're going to hear a lot about power supplies on tech boards. They're not as sexy as CPUs and GPUs, but either they're very very important or everyone here secretly works for a PSU manufacturer. I'm beginning to believe the former. If you mention your current PSU, case and fans, it'll be easier to guesstimate the OC potential for the GTX 470 and when the meltdown will occur. From what I understand, while still outstanding choices, neither the GTX 470 or 6870 have the OC potential of the GTX 460 or 6850.

3 - Warranty is attractive to everyone. XFX has an even better one (and makes 6850, 5850 and 6870)
Double Lifetime Warranty

Good luck!
Much obliged for the feedback! The prices came out to exactly $703, and the discount I get should take care of the taxes and maybe a bit more, definitely a good deal. I honestly cannot remember my cases name, it's been about 2-3 years since I've gotten it. The case itself has pretty good airflow, I remember paying about $70-80cnd for it. I've read about the OC potential of the 460 and the 6850 and how nuts it can be, I may check into a GTX 460 FTW before I make the purchases. Also didn't know about XFXs warranty, always good to know! Thanks! And I forgot to elaborate more on my PSU: it's an Antec Earthwatts 650W 80+ cert SLI/Xfire ready. I've been using it for about two years now and I've had no issues at all.