View Single Post
Old November 15, 2010, 07:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Requesting feedback

Greetings! Long time reader, first time poster here.

I'm planning on upgrading my old toaster of a computer come sometime next month, I'd love some suggestions or any feedback. My budget is roughly $700 CND not counting taxes. Note: I've only really used AMD/ATI in the past, I'm an AMD/ATI fanboy at heart, but I'll use whichever would be the best bang for the buck. I run at 1920x1080 res for gaming. I'm going to be keeping everything in my current computer (can't remember half the parts it's been so long) but the mobo/cpu/ram/gpu.

What I'm going for is:

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (planning to OC)
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H AM3
4GB Corsair 1333mhz DDR3
Corsair H50
EVGA GTX 470 (hoping to OC!)

Regarding the video card:

I was originally going to get a 6870, but I noticed AMD raised the prices of the 6000 series by 20 bucks ($279.99 now for the Sapphire one, which I was going to buy from NCIX). Now, with that increase in price, the EVGA GTX 470 (from NCIX) is only 4 dollars more, comes with a free lifetime warranty and a free game (Metro 2033). I've asked a few tech savvy friends and they said jump on the GTX 470 offer. Now, I checked the reviews and benchmarks and the 470 and 6870 are fairly neck and neck, each performing better in some cases, but the 470 uses more power and runs hotter. What concerns me is how hot can the 470 actually get under load? I've heard so many ranges of temperatures (from 70-75c to extremes of 90c+) that I really don't know which is the 'average' for actual gaming. I'm fairly set in stone on the GTX 470 considering EVGAs offer of a free lifetime warranty (the game is just icing on the cake), unless there's any other suggestions on other video cards that could perform as well for roughly the same price. I'm sort of unfamiliar with Nvidia cards, hence the wall of text!

Summary(TLDR): How hot does the GTX 470 actually get while gaming? Is there any overclocking room on the GTX 470? I'm almost positive my PSU is enough to power this thing, am I correct? And is there any other suggestions to the setup I have listed? I'm open to pretty much anything, even complete switches as long as it'll offer similar/greater performance and stay at or under 700 dollars and is available on NCIX due to getting discounts.

Many thanks for reading!