Thread: UBB Petition
View Single Post
Old November 2, 2010, 09:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
And so Teksavvy didn't spend millions developing their own network and infrastructure? What we have here in the market are two major players, Rogers and Bell doing what they can to drive out competition. Take a look at the mobile industry. It's thanks to the newcomers such as WIND and Mobilicity do we see better plans from the Big 3. Well better retention plans anyways.
Really? Last I checked it was Bell I called when there is a problem with my phone line and it is Bell whose line is coming into my house.

You don't seem to understand that in the internet market it takes BILLIONS to compete. Not millions spent on marketing, etc. Infrastructure needs to be built which costs more than a few million here and there.

The mobile market can't be compared to this since you are talking about a cross section that is entirely based upon WIRELESS communications so the infrastructure investment is relatively minor by comparison.

TekSavvy can bitch and moan all they want but in the end it boils down to them being nothing more than a reseller.

Quote:
But they won't. Bandwidth doesn't cost more than a couple cents/GB and yet look at how much Bhell is charging right now? Check out their latest overage fees, courtsy of DSL Reports forum. I've learned a lot about in the past couple weeks.

http://internet.comm.bell.ca/cgi-bin...427&z=34872958
Again, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. They are pushing people towards buying blocks of bandwidth which is actually giving them more flexibility IMO. Instead of buying a monthly package and then praying that you don't go over, Bell now offers additional bandwidth for $5 in 40GB blocks:

Bell Internet's 40GB Usage Insurance Plan - Extra Monthly Internet Usage

Hence why they are upping the download cap.