View Single Post
Old October 31, 2010, 06:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Wont work for home users as we're limited to a gigabit ethernet adapter typically as well as typically commercially the fastest router/switch you can get is a gigabit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Well the adapter in your machine isn't that big of a deal since you can get 10gb adapters for less than $500. Is it really worth it? Well at this point no, but it is nice to see it coming.

The router of course is another leap but hey just the fact that they have it running on existing hardware means that it is not too terribly far off.

I know that I would sure like this kind of speed. Of course with that speed I would need hard drives or SSD's that could keep up with it.
Wouldn't work for everybody, but if the modem were incorporated into a 1G router it'd be worthwhile to folks like myself who're running 5 PCs even if those PCs were only sucking 1G per. It'd also be well worthwhile for a multiple wireless setup (think hotspot in a motel/hotel).

Individual PCs would be limited by their own connection speed, but there'd be tons of overhead to allow for many PCs to connect without affecting the speeds of the other PCs.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP