View Single Post
Old October 29, 2010, 06:42 AM
Rookie
F@H

Default dual 5870 toxic cards, back to back overheating.

sort of been having trouble with the cards ever since i got them and just recently they have worked just fine other then the overheating if left alone (talk about it in a sec). so 5870 toxic cards are vaporx just with 2gb of vram each. big fan in the middle front. i got 2 of them side by side on a asus p6t. the first card cant get any air to cool itself because the second card is right there. i sort of went around that with putting a slim piece of wood in between the 2 cards giving the card some air to suck in. seems to work. crossfirex with the cards is a bit glitchy, i find when playing a game at random will freeze and i have to reboot. i think its does that when the "display driver has stopped responding" well sometimes when it freezes and goes black then back into windows with that error message, the freeze and boot is when it cant recover from that im guessing. not sure what that is about, maybe some of you have had that problem and have a fix or it could be heat or something. The big question here is i got the 2 cards i n the x16 slots, was wondering if it would make a difference if i took the second card and put it in the 3rd slot running at x4. obviously running in crossfirex. temp im sure it would be great but performance.

by the way the big problems with stability since i got the cards and stopped recently was that the back slots on the case were touching the dvi and dp connectors, i couldn't get the dvi plugs in all the way. well couldn't screw them in. i resat them and it fixed that up. more stable now.