View Single Post
Old October 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
Thanks for the update, Biff, and excellent job as always. I kinda like the idea of a partially open design, though it would never fly in my house--my cats would absolutely destroy it.

One thing you didn't speak to, however, is the sound quality. What is the sound like with fully open backs? I guess losing bass isn't a big deal with a 12" sealed below, but does it drastically impact the midrange you get from the smaller woofers?

Once again, I look at what you've done and wish I had some more coin to finish up my center and surrounds...I've got those pretty cabinets just sitting there...<laugh>

Also, I'm curious to know if you design your own crossovers, or if you're working off someone else's design. Is it hard to add another speaker in to the loop?

Cheers, and as always, thanks for the education.
Vulcan,

I'm really happy with how these are coming along. I don't notice a huge difference with the open backs on a lot of material but generally the soundstage is much wider and the odd time stuff is almost spooky. When I first got them going I kept shutting off the music to go see where some sound came from figuring the dogs were poking around in some box until I realized it was in the music. One example that comes to mind is that eerie little bongo drum bit that's in the lead-in in Metallica's Wherever I May Roam sounds like it's 5ft to the side of the speaker. And yeah it really sucks the bass out of the mids, but there's no lack of bass with the 12's. On some stuff the furnace vents are just dancing (gotta do something about that) and that only off my 65W/ch receiver.

This is my first crack at my own crossover. It's challenging but rewarding when things work out. For the first bit stuff like cymbals were way too hot but I've made some adjustments to the XO and I'm pretty close to calling it done I think. BTW Adding another driver would require a complete redesign right from the ground up usually.

FWIW here's a pic of the XO, a couple versions ago. Layout is still the same but some component values have changed slightly.

Thanks for the interest,
RYan
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water