View Single Post
Old October 14, 2010, 09:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Build Time

Well it took me about 6 hours to put everything together and figure out where everything goes. Fiddled with the BIOS a bit and just started installing Win 7. No RAID - just a SSD 64 GB, a HHD 1 TB, a blue ray player, and a DVD player.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus has very poor instructions. The X that holds it down goes a particular way and you should dry fit it before playing with the thermal paste. Also you have to figure out which side your fan is going and if it is blowing up, down or sideways. Mine is blowing up cause I figured heat rises.

A few things I noticed with the Gigabyte motherboard (GA-X58A-UDR3 rev 2.0) and the Cooler Master HAF X case is that the only USB 3.0 ports are in the back of the board and the case has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front. Cooler Master gives you the cables attached already to the front panel. I had to run them out through a hole in the back of the case and plug them in to the USB 3.0 ports in the back of the chassis. That's just dumb but OK I guess it will work. There are no internal USB 3.0 plugs on the motherboard.

The Cooler Master case comes with gold colored stand offs for the motherboard and about 50 small black screws that all look pretty much alike. HOWEVER only certain ones fit inside those gold colored stand offs. Figure that out before you start grabbing screws and you can't figure out why some are harder to put in that others.

There are no real clear instructions where to put which hard drive (or optical drive for that matter) so I was just kind of guessing. The case does have lots of room. I guess I had a 50/50 chance of making the SSD master and the HDD slave. It came up opposite in the BIOS and I changed it there and I changed the SATA wire order (like it was an IDE wire) but not sure if anything I did matters. Windows came up and asked where I wanted to install the OS and I picked the SSD.

Looks like it worked - I now have a blue windows screen with a recycle basket in the top left and not much else on the screen. Going to bed now.

I figured I would install the programs mentioned elsewhere - speedfan, memtest, etc and make sure everything is working and then try to update things.

Any suggestions on what to do, and how to do it correctly post build would be appreciated. I think I need to go into the BIOS and change the RAM values but too tired today. Last I looked it was showing 1066 and 1.5 volts and the RAM is 1600 and 1.65. Not sure about all that. Too tired to think right now.

Thanks again to all those that gave me advice. It really helped me.