View Single Post
Old October 11, 2010, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Question Looking to upgrade with best value!

Hello, I am currently trying to squeeze a little more performance out of my existing rig and would love some help in doing so cost effectively.

My XFX mobo failed about 8 months ago and since then I have been getting by on a $50 intel matx.

Here are my existing specs to start:

Intel C2D E7200 M0 @ 2.53Ghz (Which wont overclock to save my freaking life and on several boards was not offically recognized and ran at 2.4Ghz until I flashed the damn bios)
Intel DG41RQ mobo
Corsair CM2X1064 -6400C4 x 4 (I am only running 2MB's as the cheap board only has 2 DIMM's
XFX 8800 GT 512MB Alpha Dog G92 (I have two but again can't sli on the cheap board)
X-Fi Gamer Fata1y edition (not using as I dont have the space)
1000W Modular PSU
2 x 150GB WD Velociraptor 15000 RPM HDD
Antec 900 Case

PLEASE when POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for: Gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is: Money is very tight as I am a new father and my wife no longer works, I would like to spend ~400 CND.

3. What country: Canada or US

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. I prefer nvida, intel, and I like MSI and XFX as well.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are: I would like to keep my case, monitor, PSU, Razer KB and Mouse, HDD, and anything else I can.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads: I have, but I would like feedback specific to my situation.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds: As it is important that I be as economical as possible I would like to do moderate O/C if I can. However my computer is in the living room and my wife does not like high pitched fans.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it: Oct or Nov 2010

9. What resolution do you use: 1680 x 1050

I would like to keep as many parts as possible I have a decent sound card, HDD, case, PSU etc. I have several components I can't use with this mobo. It sucks to have 2Gb's of Ram and an extra vid card sitting next to my desk.

I would like to upgrade the mobo primarily, and perhaps my ram, and then maybe run my 8800's SLI'ed for awhile until I can afford a better card. I realize my cpu is a bit of a bottle neck. Any creative suggestions would be very much appreciated I am looking primarily for excellent value. When I bought this system two years ago I wanted to be able to reuse parts for my next system and feel I have several items that are still good in a new system. (HDD, PSU, Case, etc)

Thanks!