View Single Post
Old March 2, 2008, 03:45 PM
MVP

Alas, one instance of P95 conked out at 50 minutes, so i'm back to the drawing board.

Dropped down to 9x multi to take the CPU out of the equation, & loosened up more of the subtimings around +2 each to see if that does anything.
Then if that works, it's the fun process of tightening each one up till i figure out which one was too tight...

And yes, rated RAM speed really means nothing...it hasn't forever now anyway.

These DDR2-800 kits i have are equally as good as the DDR2-1000 Redlines.
I consider both the Redlines @ 500 MHz & these XP2s @ 400 MHz to be pretty much the exact same thing, since either kit can run DDR2-800 4-4-4 or DDR2-1000 5-5-5 (or higher, usually to at least DDR2-1100)
In my case, i don't think DDR2-1100 will happen, since running 4x2 GB is insanely hard on the NB & everything in general, but if i ripped out one of the kits & ran 2x2 GB, i'd be hitting much higher.
I might try clocking one 2x2 GB later to see how they do, but it's somewhat pointless for me since i want to run 8 GB anyway.
Based on clocking one kit on the P5B-D, i suspect i could hit DDR2-1120+ with just 2x2 GB on this better motherboard (or higher if i just wanted unstable screenshots...).

Nothing wrong with that G.Skill either, though i personally prefer the Mushkin brand due to support & what i'd like to think is better QC testing.

As for cooling the NB, yeah, before putting in this DFI, i actually had fans twist tied to the side of my case hanging down blowing air over the NB/RAM

Was pretty ghetto-tastic actually.
But i'd like to close this case eventually, so that won't do, & i don't feel like rigging that up again.

Old pic of the mess haha...