Thread: ssd cons
View Single Post
Old October 2, 2010, 06:36 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Bah! Zero. YOU RUN AN SSD in your system. And don't tell me you don't like it, cause it's listed in your build.

Besides, last time I checked boot and load times WERE real world. They sure are not synthetic benchmarks; thats for sure.

I've -always- ran my os on it's on boot drive, with another drive set up for my page file and other swap/temp folders and another drive set up for software/games and yet another for storage.

So replacing a 640gb drive with a 120.0 60gb SSD is completely worth it.

I'll boot and load faster..and since the only computers do is boot up and then read and write to memory and drives - there's no reason not to.

I love when computer enthusiasts are unenthusiastic :P
Of course the SSD is listed in my build; it's part of it. Frankly, the only reason I still have the SSD is because I don't feel like putting in the effort to try and sell it off and then have to buy an HD to replace it (and then I'll have to image the SSD onto the HD). I bought the SSD because I needed a drive and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I certainly don't feel like the 180 bucks or so that I paid for it was a worthwhile investment based on what I got out of it.

Yes, boot times are real-world, but I rarely reboot my PC anyway, and when I do, I can afford to wait another 30 seconds. As far as load times, I haven't noticed any difference. Most applications already opened instantly, even on my old rig, and the games that I tried loading off my SSD did not show any perceptive improvement in loading times.

I also use separate partitions for my OS and my other data. However, when I used to run a 640GB drive as my main one, I had a 100GB partition for my OS and applications, and a 500GB partition for other things. Having a 640GB OS drive doesn't mean the entire thing needs to be dedicated to an OS partition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The biggest issue with SSDs is that the experience is so seamless that you really only will notice the difference when you go BACK to using a HDD! THEN you will notice it..or the LACK of speed to be precise.
I regularly use fast PCs without SSDs and I don't notice any performance difference in general-purpose usage compared to my main rig.