View Single Post
Old September 23, 2010, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

Default Looks like it was hardware.

Edit:

Looks like it was hardware. When I tried to installed Vail a second time the system wouldn't boot with SATA in AHCI mode, had to disable DriveXpert to get it going. Now I'm getting decent throughput, Vail looks to be slightly better than v1 especially with W7 clients.

=================================

Thanks very much for the replies.

Everything supports jumbo frames, if I use standard frames I can't get above 500mbps. Maybe I didn't make it clear, I tried *BOTH* WHS v1 and Vail on the *SAME* system (E8500/4GB/VelociRaptor/ASUS P5Q), and Vail gave me much slower throughput.

I'm copying files (40GB of mixed data -- shortcuts to uncompressed HD video -- saved under %userprofile%) from my exiting WHS (HP Mediasmart server) running v1 to this new E8500/P5Q server I'm trying to set up.

I've attached screenshot capture of network utilization trace when the E8500 is running WHS v1.

I don't have a similar capture when the E8500 was running Vail, but in the same time frame as the attached trace I'd see maybe 4 90-100% peaks lasting less than 2 grids and the rest of the time it'll just hover around 10% -- was like being on a 100mbps rather than Gbit LAN.

All the drivers are the latest and greatest, I've check NETSTAT for obvious problems, so unless it's beta code or MSFT have deliberately throttled throughput in Vail because WHS is a "Home" product, I must have done something wrong. Does WS2008/Vail default LAN settings need tweaking to get Gbit throughput? I have a bit of experience with setting up NT/2K/XP networks but Vail is my first try with Vista base server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
2x Intel Gigabit CT NICs in the server, configured for load balancing, and a single onboard Marvell LAN in my desktop.
Teaming will be my next stop once I have the WHS up and running, I'll probably need help on that too
Attached Images

Last edited by DCCV44.2223; September 27, 2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: followup