View Single Post
Old September 8, 2010, 10:31 AM
Allstar

ECS Black Series P55H-AK
Advantages
1. High-level P55 motherboard products are rare in the market, and the external appearance and packaging are both well-done
2. Internal NVIDIA NF200 chip, 3D expanded to 3-way NVIDIA SLI / ATi CrossfireX
3. Uses newest USB 3.0 and SATA3 chips, improving the highest bandwidth for motherboard transmission interfaces
4. Added PLX PEX 8608 chip, increasing PCI-E overall bandwidth
5. DDR3 bandwidth performs better, excellent CPU external clock overclock range

Disadvantages
1. CPU voltage values are at default during standby mode
2. DDR3 2000+ stability has room for improvement
3. USB 3.0 performance sometimes drops

Efficiency ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Materials ★★★★★★★★★☆
Specs ★★★★★★★★★☆
Appearance ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Price ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

The ideal CPU to match the LGA 1156’s P55 chipset would be the i5 750/760 or i7 860/870/875K.
After Intel lowers the price of CPUs, this platform’s C/P numbers will exceed that of the highest level X58.
In addition, every motherboard manufacturer is releasing quite a few P55 motherboard products, giving consumers many options.
Prices range from around NT$3500 (around US$110) to around NT$10,500 (US$330).
I suggest that before buying the LGA 1156 you look at your budget, and then buy a P55 motherboard product that suits your needs.

In terms of design and components, the P55H-AK meets the standards of major three-channel motherboard products,
which is something that is definitely worth noting.
Motherboards being sold for around NT$9500 (US$298) now are high-level P55 motherboards.
If the prices can be pushed down a little, I believe it will increase C/P values, and could become more acceptable to more consumers.

Since ECS has not entered the field of high-level overclocking products for very long, there are a few details that could be done better.
For example, increase BIOS options, or strengthen BIOS stability during extreme overclocking; this would increase the level of performance.
ECS is a major global motherboard manufacturer; if they can establish themselves in high-level overclocking products;
this would greatly improve their brand image.
When purchasing a motherboard, many consumers look for an option outside the major three manufacturers, and ECS is certainly worth consideration.
I hope that for future high-level products, like the modified X58 or the yet-to-be-released P67 chipset, ECS will be able to produce even better products. 

This article is also posted in my blog: WIND'S 3C
Welcome 3C fans to drop by.