View Single Post
Old September 7, 2010, 12:44 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
I use WinAFC 0.92 with a fair bit of success.

There are two approaches to this whole GPU/CPU co-existence scenario:

1) Allow CPU affinity changes by running the SMP client with the -configonly flag and selecting "yes" when it asks to allow CPU affinity changes
2) Use an affinity changer to lock all GPU clients to one core, and preferably a PHYSICAL core with Core I7 (920/980x)
3) Run the -smp (n-1) flag with n being number of cores/threads, so -smp 11 for Core I7 980x or -smp 7 for Core I7 920/860 and lock all GPU clients to the unused (by SMP) core either physical or HT.

Right now my Core I7 980x @ 4.05 Ghz is getting over 50K on a P2685 with three GPU clients running using the WinAFC setup to lock all GPU clients to a physical core.

But yes, I notice my Phenom II X6 or my Opteron (24-core) duallie box see less slow down with multi, or single GPU clients running simultaneously with SMP. I guess real cores seem to make some differences.
I can get around 15k ppd out of a P2685 w/ my i7 920 @ 4.2GHz and three GPU3 clients. And this is setting affinity for nearly all major processes running.

I guess I should have done some research on how much GPU clients can affect SMP A3 WUs before going out and spending $1000 on the cards & water blocks.