View Single Post
Old September 6, 2010, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Default Need a gaming rig ~ $700

Hey all,
I'm building my first PC and would love some insight. I've spent the last few days browsing tomshardware.com and the like trying to get an understanding of my options, but with the limited knowledge I have, it's been flustering. I saw some older threads on this forum which look like good builds, but I was hoping someone could help me make an up-to-date shopping list specific for my needs.

-I would like to run new games (eg. SC2, Fable 3 ) on high settings with good fps as well as watch HD movies at high resolution.

- I have $700 CDN to spend on the tower. I know I'm asking a lot for such a small price range, so if it goes over a little bit that's okay.

- I live in Canada. York Region, GTA to be specific. I don't mind buying online or in-store, whichever you guys think offers the best price with decent reliability.

- I have no particular brand preference. Whichever brand combo which will give me the most bang for my buck is what I want.

- The only parts I'm reusing are my keyboard and mouse

- I've read some similar low-budget build threads, but they're mostly outdated.

- I know nothing about unlocking/overclocking...however I'm willing to learn granted that it's worth it and theres no chance of frying my PC lol.

- I will be going back to school in two weeks, so I want to get it done as soon as possible.

- I'm just going to use my old 1280x768 monitor for now, but I plan to getting a 1920x1080 later this month when I have the money. Not sure how smooth gaming will run with this budget at that resolution, but I have faith you guys can make it work

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!