View Single Post
Old August 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I know that he plans to continue using the cards, but my comments still stand. If they do end up failing past the warranty period, it will not be very expensive to replace them with something comparable.
While I do agree with that, under warranty is free and with that comes less downtime while I try to scavenge money to get a new one. But yours is still a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I really just should have suggested that he get something that doesn't use the external exhaust EVGA cooler. It performs poorly and is noisy. There are other 460s on the market that have very good non-reference coolers, like the MSI Cyclone cards for example, and those would also be good choices.
I have based my thoughts about its noise and performance on the review done here. While on an open test bench it is indeed warmer (7 degrees warmer under load) it is the case temperature that does it for me. I know in their situation it was 4 degrees cooler in the case with the EE. I do not have the greatest air circulation in my Zalman case so that is a big factor. If I had lots of air moving around then it would not be quite as big of a problem.

I will say that I do wish I could just test both but since I can't I think I will just go with the 1GB EE model. Right now I have the 8800GT with the Akimbo cooler and I can just barely hear it above my H50 fan when it is set to 60% now that is what I leave it at for idle, if I am gaming I turn it up more to keep the 8800 cool. So if this 1GB EE doesn't go over 55-60% then I'm guessing it will still be quieter than my 8800GT.

Anyone that has direct experience with both cards, I would very much love to here your opinions on the noise levels. Even more so if you have experience with the Akimbo cooler as well.

Edit:
@Technix: If you are not worried about warranty and have good air flow then I would most definately go with this one, Newegg.ca - EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card