View Single Post
Old August 28, 2010, 04:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I think he said he'd put the card in another machine rather than 'replace' it outright. If you try to sell it, after 2 or 3 yrs, the warranty is over. Isn't there a chance that might lower the value of the card to prospective sellers? Say, there's two cards for sale and the series is the same but one has no warranty left and one has lifetime, would you choose based on that if the asking prices are close?
I know that he plans to continue using the cards, but my comments still stand. If they do end up failing past the warranty period, it will not be very expensive to replace them with something comparable.

Yes, if you sell the card after a few years, the warranty is over. However, EVGA's lifetime warranty is non-transferable, so it does not make the prospect of buying a used EVGA card any more attractive than buying a card from another brand. When buying used, the warranty generally doesn't factor into it, unless it's an XFX card since they do have transferable warranties (but XFX does not offer 400-series cards).
Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Btw, you stated previously in a post:
What's the reason to pursue a reference heatsink?
I really just should have suggested that he get something that doesn't use the external exhaust EVGA cooler. It performs poorly and is noisy. There are other 460s on the market that have very good non-reference coolers, like the MSI Cyclone cards for example, and those would also be good choices.