View Single Post
Old August 27, 2010, 10:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Dual GTX260s will offer the most performance, but SLI support for AMD systems is pretty poor. You get stuck with a crappy NVIDIA chipset, which is just bad bad bad.

So in this scenario, a single GTX460 is the best choice. All your parts seem alright. However the main concern is the power supply. What are you using there?

If you have the money though, I'd suggest the following improvements:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - roughly $210 but you get 6-cores at your fingertips! Good if you do heavy CPU tasks like video encoding and such.

ASUS M4A87TD EVO or GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3
- both around the $110 mark, gives you a full ATX board so you have more expansion possibilities. Lacks onboard graphics (which you don't need since you want to buy a video card). Still no Crossfire/SLI though.However you could go with the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 or GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H instead which are around the $150 mark but adds Crossfire support. If you go this route, then you'll probably want to consider the HD5770, HD5830 or HD5850 as your video cardso that you could add another in the future.

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 Model 996585/Model 996768
- should be a bit cheaper ($83), but I guess it depends on where you're buying from. Same specs as Corsair and Mushkin is still a solid brand. Also uses a more standard 1.5V so you shouldn't have any issues booting up. The 1.6V on the Corsair may be a bit iffy with AMD as the 890GX board I have defaults to 1.5V.

One other question, what resolution do you game at? That really judges how well games will play.