View Single Post
Old August 19, 2010, 05:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Prefered Video Compression/Resolution (divx, 480p, 720p, 1080p)

So i am trying to decide on two different video compression/resolution standards.

Test system: See My System Specs

The first one is for my tv shows. Now i've seen tv shows in both the standard, digital standard and 720p. To me i notice no real difference in the quality of the picture in digital standard vs 720p. Here i am leaning towards staying with my digital standard as tv seasons are massively long and large already and 720p i think will just eat up very little space left (about 300GB) on my TV storage hard drive (1.5 TB)

The second one is for movies. I've seen movies in both standard divx, 480p, 720p and 1080p. To me i have noticed a difference going up from divx to 480p (~700mb to ~1.5GB ). To my i am not sure if it is worth the video quality and increased storage space required to jump to 720p. 1080p bluray content does not interest me at all as i can tell absolutely no difference between 720p and 1080p especially if a graphics card on a computer is doing the up converting.

So my question then is, for tv should i stay digial standard (leaning towards this) or eat up tons of storage space going 720p. For movies, should i continue my 'upgrade' from divx to 480p or is 720p really worth the ~4GB per movie storage gobble.