Thread: Tough choice...
View Single Post
Old February 18, 2008, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Consoles are definitely making an impact on the gaming market in a huge way. Hardly any PC exclusive titles or PC ported to console games anymore, it's almost always the other way around. So you end up with SCDA (lookin at you Ubisoft) and many other titles.

If cost is your concern then get a console. It's a one time investment of $300-$400 and you'll get years of gaming out of it without a single hardware upgrade. But know that PC gaming is not dieing... it is just changing. Probably a smaller more niche market than it once was but not dieing.

Crysis is an anomaly and should not be treated as the industry standard for hardware requirements. Any other game out there I can MAX out no problem at 1680x1050. I had to spend $300 to upgrade my gfx card to be able to do this though. My old 7900GS was starting to show it's limits. I played the COD 4 and MOHA demos on it with almost MAX settings IIRC but I am a gfx whore so I need eye candy.

You can always lower settings to get games to run better as you know. And Crysis can look pretty nice even on Medium settings (more like Farcry) and play very well on a 7900GS.

If I were you I'd probably just get a console for now. When you are done school and have a steady job you get back into PC gaming with all the $$ you'll be making :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE