View Single Post
Old August 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Peer Assisted Networking / P2P in apps

After an earlier discussion about Blizzard's use of a P2P scheme to download (/upload) their software I thought I was done being irked with companies wanting to steal my bandwidth from me.... Imagine my surprise then when I came across this little gem (it will open up a webpage with access to Adobe Flash global settings).........

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Peer Assisted Networking Settings panel

Now in fairness to Adobe, it looks like the default is to "ask before use", but damn.... if the functionality is there, how hard would it be for somebody to code in a hack to get around it???

Am I the only person out there who's outraged at the idea of being asked (mostly without my informed knowledge) to participate in a P2P scheme in order to save the company a few bucks in bandwidth? If the blizzard example is any indication, it looks like these schemes often saturate the upload channel which then greatly degrades the download channel.

Are there any other apps (outside of the obvious P2P clients) that are doing something similar? How about companies that use the same kind of scheme to distribute their content?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP