View Single Post
Old August 3, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis54 View Post
I would appreciate if you could educate me regarding integrated video.

I understand some motherboard have integrated video functions. Would that be good enough for a non-gamer?

Also, I think I have read that the Core i3 has integrated video functions as well. How does that compare to motherboard based integrated video?

I use 2 monitors (DVI) and am interested in solutions that support at least 2 monitors.
Good enough for a non gamer? Yes, definitely. It eats a bit of system ram though

Quote:
Integrated graphics solutions, shared graphics solutions, or Integrated graphics processors (IGP) utilize a portion of a computer's system RAM rather than dedicated graphics memory. These solutions are less costly to implement than dedicated graphics solutions, but are less capable. Historically, integrated solutions were often considered unfit to play 3D games or run graphically intensive programs but could run less intensive programs such as Adobe Flash. However, today's integrated solutions such as AMD's Radeon HD 3200 (AMD 780G chipset) and NVIDIA's GeForce 8200 (nForce 710|NVIDIA nForce 730a) are more than capable of handling 2D graphics from Adobe Flash or low stress 3D graphics[12]. However, most integrated graphics still struggle with high-end video games. Chips like the Nvidia GeForce 9400M in Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro and AMD's Radeon HD 3300 (AMD 790GX) have an improved performance, but still lag behind dedicated graphics cards. Modern desktop motherboards often include an integrated graphics solution and have expansion slots available to add a dedicated graphics card later.

As a GPU is extremely memory intensive, an integrated solution may find itself competing for the already relatively slow system RAM with the CPU, as it has minimal or no dedicated video memory. System RAM may be 2 Gbit/s to 12.8 Gbit/s, yet dedicated GPUs enjoy between 10 Gbit/s to over 100 Gbit/s of bandwidth depending on the model.

Older integrated graphics chipsets lacked hardware transform and lighting, but newer ones include it
Onboard video on motherboard sometimes will have VGA, DVI and HDMI ports. Sometimes you can use them all at once and sometimes you can't. You'll need to look into the specific motherboard you want and see what it says for capabilities.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Intel i3 yet, however...