View Single Post
Old July 27, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Single-loop gets my vote.

Similar to how everyone kind of went nuts over excessive radiator area in recent years, the multi-loop phenomenon is another instance of a lot of people doing it for the bling, and then trying to fabricate reasons afterwards. It's not more efficient than single-loop, and it's not more effective. It also tends to take up more space in a case, and splitting two pumps across two loops removes a level of redundancy. In its defense, it may make future modifications easier in that you only have to take apart one smaller loop, and it gives you the option of deliberately sacrificing cooling on one component, in order to focus it on another component, which in rare circumstances, may actually be beneficial.

In your situation, I'd personally rather have that extra single rad helping out on the CPU/GPU, especially if you're planning on some fairly heavy overclocking. Once you got it on water, the chipset thermals tend to be pretty binary - either it's stable or it isn't, and a degree or two doesn't make any difference. And put together in a single loop, I would probably expect the single rad to do more work than it would if only had the chipset to handle.

The caveat to this that I would offer is if the single rad is getting preheated air (from the quad rad) - in that case, the single is likely doing squat, and you may as well get it and the accompanying chipset out of the way entirely, so that the preheated air only affects the chipset (and likely won't have any effect, as mentioned above).