View Single Post
Old July 19, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
RAID10 really is a silly idea IMO.

If you are going to use 4 drives it is much smarter to use something like 2 drives in RAID0 then use the other two drives for backup. RAID != backup. A lot of people forget this.

Also that is a software RAID card.

And catnhat, look for a used Dell PERC 5i on ebay. You should be able to snag one under $100 if you look around for a while. Still the cheapest hardware RAID card you will find.
Unless your building a SQL backend :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
It is an HBA. However it definitely isn't a hardware RAID card. It has no I/O processor. It has no cache. I guess software RAID isn't the right word, 'Fake RAID' may be better.

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

A good guide on the PERC 5i. You don't need a battery back if you have a UPS or turn off write-caching. But w/o write caching, your write speeds will be considerably lower. And don't pay too much for them. There are some people selling them for like $200+. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one.
The perc5i and 6i are both great cards as in the second hand market they are quite affordable. You will normally have to do some modding as they are designed for a forced air cooling system and generally don't have a fan attached to the HSF. But other than the used perc's (which are dell branded LSI cards) you do get what you pay for.