View Single Post
Old July 8, 2010, 10:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Or we invent a Material with better thermal transfer properties. Silver would be a good start but it has its own issues, and copper is very heavy for a whole heatsink.

It just ain't gonna happen Dan, not while we also complain that a cooler costs too much as well.

ST
That's only half the story though. You can transfer as much heat as you wish but unless there's a one-way transfer going on (as has been reported as news a little while back) the heatsink and IHS are going to be the same temperature until you manage to wick it away from the heatsink somehow.

I'm not a thermal dynamics kinda guy, but the way I look at it is that you need a difference in the temperature potential between the heatsink and the IHS for any cooling to happen. Even if we had a practical one-way barrier between the two, once the heatsink reaches the same temp as the IHS, no further heat transfer will happen.

Now if we could figure out a way to convert that heat energy (on the heatsink) to actual work we'd have something to look at...... maybe we need a micro-organism heat/fuelcell that feeds off heat and produces electicity which can then be used to power fans to provide better cooling......

Sorry... kinda rambling here...... must be a slow news day...... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP