View Single Post
Old July 3, 2010, 09:04 PM

My System Specs

lowfat's advanced XBMC setup guide
First off some teaser pictures on how it can look like after you are setup.
Home

Movies

TV shows

Now I am going to tackle XBMC. This isn't just for bluray playback. But for all playback and usage. This is also for Windows. I know that OSX is nearly the same except for the use of an external player.
I would suggest downloading the newest unoffical SVN from here
Unofficial XBMC Download for Nightly Build of 31591 from SVN
There is a lot of enhancements that the SVN has over the stable release.

First off make sure all your movies are spelled correctly. They have the year in the name as well as the source (i.e. Battlestar Galactica (2003).bluray.mkv. or Battlestar Galactica (2003).bluray.truehd.mkv if you used my bluray ripping guide). TV shows need to be in folders w/ proper name (i.e. 24\Season 7\S7E01.bluray.mkv or 24\Season 7\24 7x01.mkv).
So install it. Then launch it. Then select Videos.

Then Add Source. Here locate your Movies folder. Then press Set Content.

Under This Directory Contains select Movies. Then select TheMovieDB if it isn't already. Select Run automated scan, and Scan recursively. Then press Settings.

Make sure that fan art is selected. You can also select the resolution for trailers if you so desire. Then press OK. Then OK. It should now start scanning. You should see a status area near the top of the screen. This may take a few hours depending on your movie library size.

After it is done we are going to add a source for TV shows. Obviously skip this if you don't use it for TV.
Do the same as we did above, just select your TV shows directory, then press Set Content. Under This Directory Contains make sure you select TV shows. Then choose The TVDB scrapper. Click Run automated scan. Then Settings.

I use DVD Order but I think it may have got me in to some trouble. I may suggest you try Absolute Ordering. Press OK. Then OK. Once again this may take a few hours. You can exit back to the main screen.

Now go in to your movies folder. Click your left arrow to bring up the side menu. Here we can select a better view. Find one you like. Right arrow exists the side menu.

Highlight a movie then press 'C'. This brings up all the options for that movie. Here you can rename the title, link the movie to a specific TV show, change artwork, etc. What we want to do is go in to movie information. You can also do this quicker by highlighting the movie and just pressing 'I'.

Here we can get different movie posters and artwork. Click Get Fanart. If you don't like the default background artwork you can download a different one here. Select the one you want. Then press ok. Now exit out of here. Getting a new poster is the same way, just click Get thumb instead.

Now in some cases XBMC will grab the wrong movie information. Most of the time this is caused by not having the year in the movie file name. But sometimes it is just wrong. In those cases we highlight the movie that has the wrong information. Press 'I' to bring up the information screen. Then press Refresh. Select the proper movie, then press the enter key.

That is pretty much it for XBMC basics. Next up we'll tackle skinning. So go ahead and close XBMC.

For this we are going to use my favourite skin. Transparency! I like it because it isn't bloated like Aeon and other skins. You can grab it here.
Unofficial XBMC Download for Nightly Build of 31591 from SVN
Since we are using a newer SVN of XBMC we don't have a lot of choices on what skins we can use at the moment. If you do not like Transparency!, MiniMeedia.Waffa!, or Aeon you will have to download the regular stable release of XBMC instead. So go ahead and extract the rar to the C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\Addons\ folder. After that is done go back in to XBMC.

Select Settings, Then Appearance. Then Skin. Then Skin.

Here Select Transparency!

Now we have our first look at Transparency!

Press the escape key to exit out of here. From here either left arrow over to the side menu or use your mouse and move your cursor to the left hand side of the screen to bring up the menu. Then select Skin Options.

There isn't much to do in the first screen here. I checked Wide side menu buttons. Although I am not exactly sure how it chances things.

under Home Window you can disable everything you don't want on the home screen of XBMC. I myself get rid of everything except for Movies, TV Shows, and Settings.

Under backgrounds you want to enable Fanart for both Home - Movies and Home - TV shows

I forgot about a few important settings. under Settings, Videos. You want to check Update library on startup.

Then under Settings, System, Audio. Make sure you select the correct options for your system.

Next up is using an external player. Now this is only needed for 2 reasons.
1. You have an ATI videocard and you want DXVA.
2. You are using FLAC, TrueHD, DTS Master audio tracks. XBMC will not handle these properly.
So if XBMC is running quit it now.
Go to your XBMC AppData folder (C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata for Windows 7 users). Open up notepad and create a file here called playercorefactory.xml.
Inside you want it to look like
PHP Code:
<playercorefactory>
 <
players>
   <
player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <
filename>C:Program Files (x86)MPC HomeCinemampc-hc.exe</filename>
     <
args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <
hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <
hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <
warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </
player>
 </
players>
 <
rules action="prepend">
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*flac.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*truehd.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*dtsma.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
 </
rules>
</
playercorefactory
The way I have this setup is that all videos that have either flac, truehd, or dtsma in the filename, XBMC is going to launch MPC-HC to play these videos. Now if you wanted just to use MPC-HC for h.264 acceleration you would want something like the following.
PHP Code:
<playercorefactory>
 <
players>
   <
player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <
filename>C:Program Files (x86)MPC HomeCinemampc-hc.exe</filename>
     <
args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <
hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <
hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <
warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </
player>
 </
players>
 <
rules action="prepend">
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*720p.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
   <
rule filetypes="mkv" filename=".*1080p.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
 </
rules>
</
playercorefactory
Now this is of course you have MPC-HC setup correctly as well. Which I will tackle shortly.

This is about it for XBMC. A few keyboard shortcuts.
'Shift' + a letter key quickly brings up movies/shows that start w/ that letter. Keep pressing 'Shift' + the letter to cycle through them.
'C' is the options menu
'I' is the movie/show information menu
'S' brings up the shutdown menu.

While a movie/show is playing:

'X' exits the show/movie.
'Tab' While a movie/show is playing press tab to bring up the XBMC menu. 'Tab' will bring you back to the show.
'T' toggles subtitles.
'I' brings up the movie/show information as well as progress.

You can edit all these values @ C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml

Last edited by lowfat; July 4, 2010 at 02:21 PM.