View Single Post
Old July 3, 2010, 05:33 PM

My System Specs

CREATING A COPY (old version):
First off this method works best if you have at least two hard drives to work w/ (not a RAID of them either). It it possible do to it w/ one but it will be considerably slower. This is the method I used because I did nearly 100 movies and wanted them done as fast as possible. The benefits of making copies are: obviously protecting the actual optical disc, being able to play the hd audio tracks without the use of very expensive HDMI cards, and being able to keep a nice neat movie library.

Applications needed:
AnyDVD. It isn't free, actually it is kind of expensive, but very much worth it. It is pretty comparable in price to Arcsoft TMT (bluray playback software). However it is going to eliminate so many issues w/ bluray playback on a PC.
mkvmerge . Free.
eac3to. Free.
Arcsoft TMT. Trial works fine, as we don't ever have to run the program, just need the use its its DTS decoders. Installation instructions since we need to run an older version of this software.

Now the first thing to do is to rip the BD to your HDD. This isn't completely necessary, but if you are doing a lot of movies this can save a lot of time. At the bottom of this guide I list on how do skip this step. Have AnyDVD open. Right click it in taskbar, then 'Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk'.

Select your destination and press copy. Will take around an hour to do for most movies.

After it is done, you can close the AnyDVD window. Then open yr_eac3to_more_gui.exe which is found in the eac3to folder. It may require you to install a few other programs. I am not sure since I already have it installed.

On the main window you want to make sure you select your output folder destination. I would highly suggest setting this to your 2nd HDD if you have one. Then drag the copied folder than anyDVD created in to the big white box in the left.

Now click the 'eac3to Audio' tab. Now here in the top right area of the window you need to select the input folder. So click the drop box and select your BD here. The windows will minimize for a few seconds while eac3to analyzes the BD.

Now a little window will pop up listing the contents of the BD. Usually 1 is the main feature. Unless you are copying a TV series. Then there will be a number for each episode.

Now under the Title Set: (top left of main window). Click the drop box and select the number(container) you want (usually 1 like I said above). Windows will minimize for a few seconds while eac3to analyzes. Now look in the little eac3to window. It will display all the tracks inside the container(s) you have selected. If you want the highest quality tracks then look for the number of the PCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD track. They are bigger in size, but audio is one of the reasons why I buy BD. If you want to save a few hundred MB then select the AC3/E-AC3 Track w/ the highest bitrate. Chances are that will be the correct one. The rest of the tracks listed will be different languages or commentaries. Now back to the main eac3to window, under Track: enter the audio track number that you want. Then enter a filename, and select a file extension from the drop down box. If you selected either of the PCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD tracks, you'll want to use flac, as it is a lossless codec.

Now look at the bottom of the window where it shows the command line info. Make sure you see the file extension here. If it doesn't have one, then click in an empty field anywhere in the main window. Then click add to batch listing. If you happen to want more than one audio stream (like a commentary, etc) in your ripped BD, you can do so. Just do the same thing with the other audio streams you want.

Now click the 'eac3to Video' tab, and do the exact same things you did for the audio, except you want to pick the VC-1/AVC/H.264/MPEG video stream. You want to use an .mkv for the file extension. Then click add to batch listing.

Now click the 'Batch Processing' tab. Then click 'Run Batch Listing'.

Now this is where having 2 drives comes in handy. It will take way less time to complete. On my i7 system it takes ~ 5 - 10 minutes to do it w/ 2 RAID0 arrays. On a single drive it will take up to 30 minutes from what I've found. The command prompt window will pop up,then do its converting thing for audio, then close. Then it will reopen another window for video. Once it is complete, the command prompt window will disappear and the eac3to will come back up. You are now done w/ this program.

Now open up mkvmerge. Drag the flac/mkv files you just created from Windows Explorer to the mkvmerge window. Now this next step isn't needed for single audio track. But I do it to make things 'cleaner'. Enter a name for the audio track. I personally enter what the source track was. You could also enter 'Main Feature'. Also select the language. You can see why this is needed w/ multiple audio tracks so you know which one to select when watching the movie. Now enter the 'Output Filename:'. Once again if you have two hard drives I highly suggest selecting the the other HDD. Now press 'Start Muxing.'

After this the video is ready for playback. Which I will do a writeup when I have time. I'll also try to make a DVD ripping one.

You can completely skip the first step of copying the BD to your HDD, but it will make things take up to twice as long. All you need to do is have AnyDVD running, then drag the Bluray drive to the eac3to. Eac3to can do all the converting right from the drive. But this can take a couple of hours to do. Doing it the method above allows multitasking. As you could also start copying another movie to the HDD when you are muxing/demuxing the first movie.

Last edited by lowfat; July 3, 2010 at 07:11 PM.