View Single Post
Old June 29, 2010, 07:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

TVs are the sticky part and I have a follow-up article which details the current state of 3D across most fields. It was also mentioned in the original 3D Vision article.

Basically, 99% of the TVs out there use interpolation to produce a "false" 120Hz or 240Hz signal. This is not compatible with 3D glasses which is why you need a 3D-ready TV for actual viewing. Again, most of these "3D ready" TVs are not compatible with 3D Vision simply because every manufacturer seems to be using a different polarization angle which will directly affect the ability for active shutter glasses to function. The polarization angle is also why current glasses from different manufacturers won't work on most competitors' products. As far as I know, Sony is the only manufacturer that uses a standard 90 polarization filter which makes their TVs compatible with 3D Vision.

HOWEVER, NVIDIA has something called "3D Vision Play" which allows 3D Vision glasses to use your PC's processing power to sync your glasses to supporting TV sets: 3D Vision 3DTV PC

When we talk about Plasma, DLP and technologies other than LCD, compatibility is borader but totally dependent on the TV having a VESA Stereo connector which not many have. This once again allows for syncronization between the PC and your TV without worrying about LCD refresh rates.

For the record: I hate 3D in a Consumer Electronics environment. For gaming, it works very well in quite a few games.