View Single Post
Old June 26, 2010, 05:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Nvidia: were they sent here by the devil?

General Techies: Years ago you served myself in Build Wars, now I beg you to help me in my struggle against the bluescreens.

Okay, that Star Wars references is tortured enough.

A few years ago I built a system with and XFX 780i (Nvidia SLi) motherboard and two 9800GTX's.
Since then it has performed steadily worse all the time.

Running Vista Ultimate x64 it crashed constantly until I swapped out two of its RAM cards for 2 GB ones (taking it up to 6 GB) then the crashing stopped.
Until I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and the crashing started again, mostly with memory management issues.
I abandoned RAID 0 as it had problems accessing it and took out one of the hard drives, which it had problems reading to.
The machine decided it didn't like having two graphics cards so I took one of those out.

I reseated the ram, reinstalled and did everything I could.

This week I unplugged everything from the motherboard, cleaned the whole case out and carefully plugged it all back in. I recreated my RAID 0 partition and reinstalled windows 7 on it. It won't even let me log in without crashing.

I've had it.
This computer has had problems alleging to come from its:
hard drives
ram
cd-rom
floppy
graphics cards
usb mouse
and printer

I'm calling bullshit. I think the motherboard is what's broken.

So what I need to know is: what motherboard can I replace it with.

Can I still run my two graphics cards if the MoBo isn't SLi?
I've come to really hate nforce over the years and I would like to leave it behind. But I'm stuck with 9800GTX's and DDR2 ram.

Suggestions?
Main System (now): Q9450 @ 2.667GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | 2 x Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 7200RPM | Everest 800w | EVGA 9800GTX 512MB GDDR3 in SLi | Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226CW, 1680x1050, 2ms, 3000:1 | G15 | G7 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (goal)