View Single Post
Old June 16, 2010, 06:16 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

We reviewed the PWM model. It didnt use plastic it had 4 metal tabs w/ spring loaded bolts. No idea on what they ship with now. I know that shortly after that review went live I was states side and picked another one up and it also came with the same hardware...but that has been awhile ;)

For my builds I have a couple coolers that are my "go to" coolers. I know they work, are easy to install and look at the very least decent.

For budget builds: CM 2112+
Set it and forget it. Great numbers at stock loads, good stock fan, great price.

moderate budget builds: Zalman CNPS10X FLEX (not the extreme). Almost as good results at stock loads, but much better at higher loads. Pair it with a Noctua NFP12 for low noise builds, Scythe SFlex E/F/G for more performance orientated builds.

high End: Prolimatech MegaShadow. Looks like a million bucks. Great for high end OCs. OR a Noctua D14. Depends on how much the build budget is and the OC goal. I also like the regular non blackened Prolimatech Megahalem but it really depends on the price dif between them at the time of build and if the case has a side panel window ;)

Any of those will give you good to great results. The Nirvana is a great cooler, same with the Fenrir, but the others I use are "better" for my needs. My basic requirements are: a) easy to FIND b) easy to use c) reasonable price d) be able to mount std 120mm fans e) great performance at a given heat load

IF the Nirvan was easier to find and came with ability to mount ANY 120mm fan it would be on my short list. If the Fenrir was easier to find...it too would be on my short list. Since they are not....I dont go looking for trouble when I know others are just as good or better for my needs ;)

For fans I use are Gelid (silent for cases, wing for occasional cpu cooler build), CM Blademaster (almost impossible to find now, but where great for coolers), Cm R4 for budget to moderate priced builds on coolers or volt modded as case fans, Noctua NFp12 and NFp14 for low noise case and cooler fans. Scythe E/f/g for higher end builds.

YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcnor View Post
I like the Nirvana -- it looks nifty.

Saw a couple reviews in some other dark corners of the web (which shall remain benchmarkreviews.com) that weren't quite so rosy on its performance, so I kinda waffled on it. Plus, I can't seem to find one that's out-of-the-box 1366 compatible -- every Nirvana kit I find needs an additional bracket for 1366 motherboards, and the bracket uses plastic push-pins, which I'm given to understand aren't the greatest and require some force to properly install (given my luck, I'm sure I'd brick something if I push!). So every time I go price-shopping at Newegg or elsewhere, the Nirvana never shows up under 1366 heatsinks. ZeroTherm's website lists the "PWM" version as compatible, but the "Premium" isn't (and I can't find either at Newegg or NCIX -- actually, the only places it seems to pop up are Europe or Australia). What particular kit did HWC review (there are about four different ones floating around)? Seems like it came with all the necessary bits and didn't involve push-pins. If I had that, and could shrug off the (admittedly, only one) bad review (and, by contrast, bit-tech.net did rather like it), I might go for it. It'd certainly take the fan question off my mind, so I could go back to more important stuff like obsessing about whether DDR3 1600 memory will work at its rated speed with a Gigabyte UD5 mobo without any mucking around (but that's another thread -- literally, go look!).

Well, it's shaping up to be either the Nirvana if I can find a kit with all the necessary bits, a Megahalems if I'm feeling too heavily-laden with extra cash, or maybe a Fenrir -- apparently Titan's coming out with a new version called the Fenrir Evo that's supposed to be pretty nifty, though I have no idea if or when it'll be available around these parts.

Thanks for all the patience and advice, AkG. Much appreciated!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr