View Single Post
Old June 11, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
People are pretty much paying for the PCIE lanes.
I thought the PCI-E lanes depends on what chipset is used. Even comparing motherboards from the same manufacturer using identical chipsets, I guess the difference in price is used to as you all say, more features and improved quality. I'm not sure I agree with the improved CSR support statement though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
And looks. When was the last time there was a $100 board that looked like the Classified, or the Rampage Extreme (I, II, and III)? Those boards >$300 have no reason whatsoever to look like that either - but I'll buy one based on how it looks
Looks matter when it's inside a case? Only reason it'd matter is if you have a side window. Of course, the placement of the PCI-E slots, USB ports, RAM slots, etc. matter but to what extent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8erppl View Post
Yeah, with my sub $100 mobo, i was able to unlock my 4th core and take it from 2.6GHz to 3.25GHz. I guess beside the extra PCI-e slots, there's the "extra" cooling on the north & south bridges. You see fancy mobos with heatpipes connecting the two, etc...
I find that some heatpipes don't work like they're supposed to, doing a poor job at dissipating heat.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that notices this. Extra money for more features and quality. I'm happy with buying motherboards that cost $80 to $130.