View Single Post
Old June 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
Allstar

BIOSTAR TA890GXE
Merits:
1. Motherboard material adopts whole Japanese solid capacitors, SATA 3.0, and 4+1 phase power supply.
2. The matching colour red makes the product appearance eye-catching.
3. The range of voltage adjusting in BIOS is wide, and options of other setting are many.
4. The overclocking range of CPU frequency is wide; after the testing, 300MHz is very steady.
5. The clock of HD4290 is higher, and has wider range for overclocking.

Demerits:
1. BIOSTAR products are not very common in some countries.
2. The overclocking range of DDR3 is only about 1700, and compatibility of BIOS leaves some to be desired.
3. USB 3.0 is suggested to add on this motherboard.

Performance: ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Material: ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Specification: ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Appearance: ★★★★★★★★★☆
Price: ★★★★★★★★☆☆

The default clock of 890GX HD 4290 is about 700MHz, a bit higher than 500MHz, the default clock of 785G HD 4200.
At default setting, 3D performance improves a little; moreover, the overclocking range of HD4290 is wider than that of HD4200.
Although AMD does not change GPU structure a lot, 890GX, with the rising clock, can improve 10~20% 3D performance.

The main features of BIOSTAR products are parity and overclocking. This time, TA890GXE also shows excellent overclocking ability.
The latest version of TA890GXE also supports ACC technology, and it is convenient for users with X2~X3 CPU.

For consumers wanting to buy AMD Micro ATX platform in the near future,
two options are being provided: cheaper 785G, and 890GX with higher price and specification.
In my opinion, budget is the primary concern because it is easy to update X6 CPU in future; most AMD products are easy to expand with moderate price.

In near future, I shall share testing report of AMD high-level platform—X6 CPU with 890FX chipset.
I hope AMD can make newer Leo structure perform higher performance, and release cheaper and better high-level products.