View Single Post
Old June 10, 2010, 08:25 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
How do you rate a server's performance any way. I know, another noob question from a beginner.
Actually, that's probably the most useful question asked so far... My intent isn't really as much to build a "server" as it is to build the ultimate work station and gaming rig. While I believe 3dmark/vantage/cinebench/etc are all over-rated means of gauging performance, I will run them anyways to see how/where I can improve and optimize my machine. That being said, stability is as important as performance, so I will also run the "usual suspects" of torture test apps, like Prime95.

Personally, I'm most interested in testing the read/write of the SSDs and my PPD in both Folding and the World Community Grid.

As for true server testing, you're looking at a whole different ball game where you have to consider everything from failover to load balancing to network related tests... all tests I couldn't care less about during this build. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
will we see an Iwaki!?
No, I'm not a fan of the Iwaki. While it's a fantastic pump, I've always felt it's important to build redundancy in a loop, in other words, use multiple pumps just in case a pump fails. There's something about running 2 Iwakis that makes me think my blocks, tubing and rads would explode ;)

I have a few Laing DDC 355 pumps on hand, so I will most likely run a single loop with 3 pumps in series or multiple loops with 2 pumps in series. All of this will depend on the SR-2 chipset waterblock I use, unfortunately, none are available yet.

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...