Thread: hehe ^ 17
View Single Post
Old June 6, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

dude you have a very interesting idea on what security means. There is no black and no white when it comes to the real world. By YOUR definition of security, the only truly secure system is one that is locked in a vault and never used and has no programs installed on it (as they are another attack vector). There are plenty of middle ground areas where on a case by case basis a competent IT security admin has to look at and weigh the pros and cons. Once again you show your lack of real world understanding. Im sure in your world nix is wonderful and all its users are perfect....the rest of us live in the real world so the "people equation" actually matters. As it stands windows users are on the average a bit more savy then the avg apple user. I am completely discounting Linuix as it is a niche OS that really isnt big enough to have a real cross section of computer users. The avg nix user is most likely more tech savy then the avg windows user...but then again they HAVE to be.

NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix. Why spend time and effort probing for a hole that will affect 2 or 3 people out of a hundred when you can do it for 90+. Once again no OS is secure. This is a fact. ANYTHING man made has flaws. There are plenty of ways to break nix systems just like any other OS. A lot of them just haven't been discovered because its not worth the time and effort to do so. If you think nix has no holes and thus needs no patching....LOL, not even going to go there as you seem bright enough to actually count above 10 w/out taking off your shoes ;)

I did intrusion detection for a living so unlike you I know what I am talking about when it comes to security. Im not a dilettante, or arm chair general. Im sure your OS gives you warm fuzzy wuzzies at night, but you are sadly mistaken if you think that its this uber perfect system that cant be hacked. Before windows, Unix was the only "real" OS out there for servers and yes they did get cracked. Just like Novel did and was hacked. If you were around back then you would know this. Obviously you werent. Obviously your ideas need a few more years of real world experience to temper your enthusiasm. Me I think all OS's and ALL users are royal pain in the arse (especially the "power user" who thinks he knows it all...they are the worst) and we'd be much better off with out them....just need to figure out how to invent sentient AI.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; June 6, 2010 at 03:18 PM.