View Single Post
Old May 27, 2010, 09:07 AM
Rookie

Arrow $800 Gaming Build

Hi HWC guys, hopefully you can help me.

A little info first, this will be my first computer build but I do know my way round a case thanks to somehow becoming my families IT guy. Must of my computering has been done from my laptop for the last couple years but now I would like to get a bit more serious into PC gaming since my laptop just can't do the trick for the new stuff.
----------------------
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming is the priority right now, and then of course regular stuff. I might be using it a a media server for the time being as well until I get a stand alone unit.

It would be great if I could run some drafting programs on it eventually as I'll be starting engineering next year as well but its not a biggy right now.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Looking for around $800 before an OS. I'm mostly looking for bang for buck and upgradability. So skimping on the CPU or GPU for a better PSU and mobo right now is fine.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.

I'm mostly looking at AMD and ATI, its not really a preference thing I just have been researching them more. I don't think I'd be willing to go the i5 route right now but I am open to nvidia.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I can also skip the optical drive if I have to as I have an external dvd burner I can use.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes, that's what I've been doing all day haha.

7. IF YOU plan on
overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Yes I would like to overclock if possible

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

In the next two weeks.

9. What resolution do you use?

1080p(monitor) or 720p(HDTV)

----------------
I'll be doing most of my shopping through NCIX (just because I'm mostly familiar with them and pricematching), I'm also fine with newegg and I am willing to order one or two parts from other places.

So far I've been looking at a 720 Black and 5770 combo for the heart of the system, but I would like a proper 4 core CPU.

two places I'm really lost are the mobo and case, as I just have no idea. So far I've come up with the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 and the Antec 300.

Thanks everyone who read this!

Last edited by Mr.Blah; June 2, 2010 at 03:05 PM.