View Single Post
Old May 27, 2010, 09:07 AM
Arrow $800 Gaming Build

Hi HWC guys, hopefully you can help me.

A little info first, this will be my first computer build but I do know my way round a case thanks to somehow becoming my families IT guy. Must of my computering has been done from my laptop for the last couple years but now I would like to get a bit more serious into PC gaming since my laptop just can't do the trick for the new stuff.
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming is the priority right now, and then of course regular stuff. I might be using it a a media server for the time being as well until I get a stand alone unit.

It would be great if I could run some drafting programs on it eventually as I'll be starting engineering next year as well but its not a biggy right now.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Looking for around $800 before an OS. I'm mostly looking for bang for buck and upgradability. So skimping on the CPU or GPU for a better PSU and mobo right now is fine.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.

I'm mostly looking at AMD and ATI, its not really a preference thing I just have been researching them more. I don't think I'd be willing to go the i5 route right now but I am open to nvidia.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I can also skip the optical drive if I have to as I have an external dvd burner I can use.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes, that's what I've been doing all day haha.

7. IF YOU plan on
overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Yes I would like to overclock if possible

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

In the next two weeks.

9. What resolution do you use?

1080p(monitor) or 720p(HDTV)

I'll be doing most of my shopping through NCIX (just because I'm mostly familiar with them and pricematching), I'm also fine with newegg and I am willing to order one or two parts from other places.

So far I've been looking at a 720 Black and 5770 combo for the heart of the system, but I would like a proper 4 core CPU.

two places I'm really lost are the mobo and case, as I just have no idea. So far I've come up with the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 and the Antec 300.

Thanks everyone who read this!

Last edited by Mr.Blah; June 2, 2010 at 03:05 PM.