Recent iTrader Ratings
Period: 1 Month 6 Months 12 Months
Positive Positive 0 0 0
Neutral Neutral 0 0 0
Negative Negative 0 0 0

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
Its because 775's are still popular and even the oldest Pentium D's on eBay are a minimum of, on average, $30 - 35 shipped. Single cores are of course cheaper unless you are looking for one of the latest generation ones based on 65nm. $40 for a C2D is extremely low, maybe a Pentium Dual Core or Pentium D but C2D is a stretch. Go for the $300 i3 combo if you have it like your previous post states, those little chips overclock like nothing I've ever seen. Great fun.
the reason I haven't gone for the i3 combo is because this is just for a testing system that is meant to test video cards and hard drives and other more frequently changed components. An i3 system is great for an htpc setup or a low cost web surfing system for the wife and kids (I have neither).

Hence my desire to keep it cheaaap. I have no qualms about dropping a few grand on parts, I do that at least twice a year, but sometimes I just can't justify it, especially when wanting a testing rig that I will keep around for a few months and then just throw away (sorta).

That being said, got an interview for a new job tomorrow, which will further support my hardware fetish :P may just end up getting another i7 rig instead (Folding is a heck of an addiction)