View Single Post
Old May 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Asus U30JC Review

Ok, so I have just picked up the new Asus U30JC-A1. Since I have only had it a very short time I will first be adding some pictures and initial impressions. After the weekend I should have been able to add a bunch of benchmarks.

First off I will say that this is indeed a very nice looking notebook. It has a brush aluminum cover and is only 3cm thick. My version with the 6 cell battery is only 2kg, although since mine has the 8 cell it is slightly heavier. The hinges feel well built and the entire notebook feels as though it could take a little bit off punishment without completely falling apart.

Top Cover

From Left

From Right

As you can see on the right side there is a DVD multidrive as well as a single USB 2.0, standard ethernet jack and then power connector.

And on the left side; VGA, HDMI, 2 USB ports, headphone and microphone jack.

Also right on the front there is a 4-in-1 media card reader. As for the keyboard it is a very spacious chiclet style keyboard. Even though I have not spent much time on it so far it does feel very comfortable and I would not complain if I had to type large amounts on it.

The trackpad is another area that they have done a great job on. I have seen other sites compare it to the feel of a Macbook Pro if that is what you like. It is a good size and the multi-touch gestures such as using two fingers to scroll work very well and become second natural after using them for awhile. It only has a single mouse bar which sure looks nice but I would have preferred two distinct buttons.

Here are the complete specs for my system:

Specifications
Processor & Cache Memory - Intel® Core™ i3 Processor 350M: 2.26 GHz
Operating System - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Chipset - Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
Main Memory - 4GB SDRAM DDR3 1066 MHz
Display - 13.3" HD (1366x768) Color-Shine (Glare-type)
Video Graphics & Memory - NVIDIA® GeForce® G 310M, with 512MB & Intel GMA HD (Support NVIDIA Optimus Technology)
Hard Drive - 2.5" 9.5mm SATA
320GB, 5400rpm
Card Reader - 4 in 1 card reader SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro
Video Camera - 0.3 Mega Pixel web camera
Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN - Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
10/100/1000 Base T
LED Status Indicator - Wireless/Bluetooth on status indicator Power-on/Suspend
Storage device access
Capital Lock
Interface - 1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
3 x USB 2.0 ports
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
Audio - Altec Lansing® co-brand speakers
SRS Premium Sound
KeyBoard - 19.0mm size
Battery Pack & Life - 8 cells: 5600 mAh
AC Adapter - Output: 19 V DC, 4.74 A, 90W
Input:100~240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
3/ 2 pin compact power supply system
Dimension & Weight - 32.8 x 23.8 x 2.00~2.99 cm (W x D x H)
2 kg, (with 6 cell battery)
Warranty & e-support - 2-year limited global hardware warranty
1-year battery pack warranty

So as for my initial impressions I can say I am quite pleased. Sure there are lighter notebooks out there but when I consider everything this machine offers it is not bad at all. Now to help with weight a little bit and to get even more performacne out of it I will be sticking in a Kingston V Gen 2 128GB drive. I'm sure this will make quite a difference over the 320GB 5400rpm drive.

Once that is done, this weekend, I will post a bunch of benchmarks from this machine. I will also do some before I swap out the drive just so people can see the performance out of the box. This is also one of the first notebooks out that uses the Nvidia Optimus technology which you can see a review for, right here on this site.

If anyone has any questions about it do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best to answer.