Thread: Hehe...
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2010, 04:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Technet is open to anyone with an internet connection. Nothing special is needed besides a credit card. By your math Apple sells their full retail NON-UPGRADE copies for about 15 bucks as you can get Win 7 for about 150 (last I heard the last OSX UPGRADE version was 30 bucks0. I think you need to take some more math classes, unless that is apple math. Sp1 Sp 2 and Sp 3 for XP were free...yet Apple charges for their service packs. Even if an apple OS went for 20 bucks...the TCO of MS is lower when you add up all those 20 buck upgrades over the past decade. You certainly CANT use a 10 yr old OS on a new Apple....PPC and all that. /whistle

Id like to know who you hung out with in College as for every student with a 2k laptop there is PLENTY more with cheaper ones (thus the cliche "poor student"). Maybe it is a MTL thing, who knows. As the old saying goes YMMV on that one.

I bet you felt really superior to using nothing more than stripped down system compared to the others. I bet many peeps laughed at you behind your back too. As that is probably one of the best examples of elitist *nix snobbery I have heard. At the end of the day your super fast do one thing only system was good for only that one thing, whereas those "fools" could take it home, use it talk to friends via VOIP, watch movies and {gasp} play games! Those fools! What were they thinking! By your logic anyone who uses their system for more then one thing is a fool with a poor performing tool....yet in the same breath you dis them for paying to much for their systems that could do more then yours. Must be more of that apple math at work their....or envy.

I said Nix wasn't ready for prime time....do you really think grandma or joe sixpack are going to roll their own drivers? Another great example of *Nix elitist snobbery, as you are saying if they cant do that then they are too stupid to be using a computer.

Honestly, if you are an example of this generations Nix convert....MS has nothing to worry about as you are your own worst enemy. This is coming from someone who used UNIX in a business enviro for years. I like *Nix as it is pretty darn good for some things, but by your admission it has more hassle factor involved.

Zero82z's claim is far less ridiculous then what comes out of Steve Jobs mouth on a regular basis. BUT I think his reality distortion field needs new batteries as it is wearing thin on many of his (ex)converts.
Technet sure is 'open' to anyone, but seriously, ask any typical computer users and no one knows about it.

Math class for me or reading glasses for you? "...OSX is about 1/4 to 1/10 of a normal windows cd..." (quoted myself from above)

Sure you can't use a 10 years old OS with a newer mac... but why would you since OSX comes with a newer mac? ;)

For the 2k$ laptop it's simple... it was kind of a scam that a lot of hardware oriented computer guys fell for. It's not that they were not that bright, it's just that mommy & daddy gave them some money because the college assured them that the 2k$ Studio was the best thing that will last them through college and blablazzzZZ (market is easy to manipulate eh?). I'm glad I didn't fell for that. For the few other ones with 1.5$ HP laptops, well I would guess that they just didn't know better (?)
Also as with any networking/programming classes, you always have the 17 yrs old gamer nuisance who had to get "da shit" to play the latest game in class, thus costing him THAT much money for nothing.
There's always a logical explanation behing everything

Why would I feel superior and why are you insulting me? Sure people were laughing at me in my back. Heck I was a lil metalhead *nix fan using a 100$ computer running freebsd with terminals and they were a bunch of "rich looking"/cool kids gamers using those huge 2k$ laptops with Vista on them and full of games. But again they were the ones not able to make a a damn character print on a terminal, even less knowing what a kernel -is- in the first place.
Though -somehow- still laughed at me. So sure they were laughing at him but from pure and simple ignorance.
And you really seem to underestimate me: why the -hell- would I get and use a laptop if it would not satisfy my needs perfectly? I barely game anymore, I don't watch movies, I don't go on voip (even if we have our server running) and I work about 80 hours a week coding on my project/job and if you read a page before my main computer is a 500Mhz machine. If they need a 2k$ laptop to satisfy themselves, well let that be it, I don't need one.
A computer should be a tool that would allow you to do what -you want- on it, not have it for looks or by a small materialistic impulsion to get a 2k$ monster to, eh, have a 2k$ piece of useless equipement.

To stupid to be using a computer? No. Not knowing better (i'm staying polite) and buy expensive hardware and useless expensive piece of software? Yes.

(free) Unix being a bit more complicated to configure for the ones used to use it? Sure, that's what happens when you don't have a company paid to debug and configure it at your place. But again, we like screwing around with it. Unix being a ***** for the typical guy? Sure, I'm never going to deny that.

For your last statement, I have no clue whatsoever you meant o.O

EDIT: neverming this ^, I read it 5 times and finally understood the sarcasm

Last edited by m1dget; May 1, 2010 at 05:03 PM.