Thread: Hehe...
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The trend I typically see at my place of work when people buy Macs is the following:

Stage 1. Thinking of buying a Mac or PC, and sometimes ask me for advice. I give them the positive and negatives, one of which is Mac compatibility with the software at our work. I tell them thats a big negative. My warnings are sometimes heeded, but when a person gets to the stage that they are comparing, they are often drawn in to the 'Macs are easy and no viruses'. For the most part, the users asking me for advice are not all that computer savvy, and are attracted to the Apple 'it just works' marketing.

Other people simply inform me after the purchase.

Stage 2. Happy with the new purchase for a few months. Will bring in the Mac to show me how great it is. At this point, I am in 'polite mode,' as the person bought an expensive piece of equipment already, and are happy with it. Who am I to rain on their parade now, as the laptop is already on the Visa?

Person then asks me if I am sure that our software needed at work will not work on their Mac, as they have often read in forums like this one that 'Macs can do everything a PC does.' I tell them that if they do some research, I am sure its possible to get our software working. They ask me to point them in the proper direction, and I tell them to use Google as I don't have the money to purchase a Mac just so that I can support a dozen or so users out of 1600.

Stage 3. Person comes back to me now months later upset or disappointed that they need to stay at work longer than other people as our software does not work on their home Macs. 'Why can't we buy similar or the Mac version?' they plead. I tell them that it does not make economic sense to make the investments in money, resources, and personnel required to support the small Mac user base. I remind them that I warned them of this fact prior to their purchase, and I feel sorry about their situation. Most of the time, they understand, but sometimes I will get the 'You guys need to go outside the norm' etc etc. I tell them that I am responsible for supporting 1600+ users, and our 'head office' over 30,000 users, and there is no way that we can have different infrastructures for a small user base.

I also offer workshops to help our users do additional tasks and such related to their job. Every once in a while, I will get the Mac user who asks me 'how do I do this on a Mac' and I tell them that they would have to do their own research. I have had Mac users complain to me that I am leaving them out. I don't have to offer these workshops, but I like to, and I respond to them that I don't own a Mac and cannot therefore accommodate their needs, especially if they are a very small minority of the user base.

Stage 4. Person either upgrades their old PC so they can run our software and do their jobs at home, or they buy a PC to run alongside their Mac.
Fold for team #54196