Thread: Hehe...
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
The market is only driven by the marketing and nothing else.

Btw, OSX is about 1/4 to 1/10 of a normal windows cd... so the price/value of the OS, since we are talking about this, is way better with Apple on that.

More for less, I would have to disagree. You can do anything with OSX that you can do with Windows, and I will push it further by saying that you can do way more with OSX out of the box than with windows if you know your way around a BSD system.
The software running off it is different though as it is not part of the OS itself.

I know quite a lot of people when I went to college who had macs and didn't got in that much debt to get them... beside that what I found funny is that there were about 80% of the student in the class I attended who had those big 2000$ dell studio or 1500$ HP notebook, which are WAY more expensive than the basic macbook, which then again was a better laptop than the ones with the dell and hp laptop for about half the price.

I personally use a 100$ laptop with a custom freebsd running on it so I always laughed at those two groups
When I saw those people with the big laptop and I was booting faster than them with a machine about 1/5 of their speed with 1/4 of their memory and when I saw them using their visual studio or netbeans or whatever IDE and I had one terminal running vi and the other one a makefile for compiling and I was able to do my work faster than them it's there I realized that you just need to know -how- to use an OS and not rely on expensive hardware to cope with where the OS lacked.

Support in that way is not meant to actively help someone, it is that you are still developing and have software/tools/libraries for what you are supporting. If the support for a certain type of hardware hasn't been dropped, well, it's still supported. The best example is Itanium: MS annouced recently that they would completely drop support for Itanium in the next few months/years iirc with their new release of windows server. So itanium will -not- be supported anymore, thus (I think it's the right work), it is -still- supported right now.

For your mom's mini (I think it was you but I'm getting tired), I meant it in the way that if you don't know how to fix it, let a professionnal do it. That's why I said that they exist for a reason. Those guys will troubleshoot it in a minute and tell you the exact problem and will have it fixed in no time.
I call BS on the first part. IF marketing was the Alpha and the Omega....we would ALL be using Macs. Apples marketing is much better then MS....yet Apple is a fringe product with very small market share. Dont think because you as a home user dont like something that means other share your POV.

You cant compare a RETAIL MS OS cost to the cost if Apple's upgrade price and expect to be taken seriously. Sorry doesn't work that way. Apple loves pumping out small incremental changes and charging for them (whereas MS gives SP's for free). Via technet I have access to all MS OS's and get 10 copies of each. By your thinking MS is cheaper as it would only cost me about a buck per OS copy. See how you cant compare non similarly orientated software packaging prices?

As for college's. Do you mean the cost of the software? I know many kids of friends who are going to college (got that makes feel old) and can get a heck of a lot more computer for their money then a MAC. Mac's cost more. The reason is simple: while they may start out comparable....the Apple kit does NOT drop in price as time goes by. The day before it is replaced with the next model the unit basically will cost the same as the day it was released. Saying they are the same price otherwise is disingenuous to say the least. IF you did mean software....um yeah and??? ALL software is dirt cheap for college students. It is done that way to get them hooked on brand XYZ software so that they will continue to use it later on in life AND get their company's they work for the buy it.

As for comparing the bottom of the barrel Mac to a mid teir Apple. Yeah that sounds like a good comparison....not. Compare Apples to Apples or same to same (sorry for the pun) before saying Apple is cheaper. The reason most peeps use PCs and not Apples is they can get more for less. It sounds like you were in a multimedia stream in College, thus more Apples makes sense. While things are slowly changing, Apple is still seen as better for graphic artists. Its BS, but perception is important and goes back to the above on cheap software paying off. BUT if you polled ALL the peeps at a typical college the ratio would be in 8 to 2 for PC to apple.

Saying you can do more with OSX out of the box vs Windows if you know your way around....is funny. If you know your way around you will get the most out of ANY piece of equipment. There are plenty of things that BSD is good at and there is plenty of things that OSX are good at. BUT saying because you cant do as much on windows as you can w/ BSD is just funny.

As for bootup speed. Meh. Give me a command line interface and it will be up and running within a second or two of the system finishes post'ing. Doesn't mean you can get as much done with the computer or share with others IF both groups of peeps have the same knowledge and user skill level. You like BSD, good for you. Its a good OS when everything works. BUT when you printer, wireless card or other kit is not recognized and not supported....good luck getting it to work w/out rolling your own drivers.

In the real world there is two types of support: Active and inactive. Active means if you run into a problem they will look into it and try to fix it. Inactive means you are on your own. I know coming from an Apple POV and thinking about legacy apps is tough as after a couple years Apple will cut you off and make it INactive support...BUT on MS side they Actively support it for a LONG time. This is just another area Apple sucks in comparison to MS. That comes in handy when you are running a legacy app that the company had custom coded for them 15yrs ago and EXPECT it to work on their new hardware.

Try that with an Apple....oh right they dropped PPC support after a mere 5 years. Guess you'd have to tell your company the hundreds of thousands they spent on the software is now useless. I bet that would go over large.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 1, 2010 at 07:48 AM.