View Single Post
Old May 1, 2010, 05:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I was laughing so hard I was crying when I read MacJunky's post. But then I thought what if this kid takes this crap seriously....then I laughed even harder at the thought of him doing that stuff....that seemed like a better sentence in my head, now I'm not to sure. Anyway I'm with the 99% ISO crowd. I've used Artic Clean before but I too was concerned as to whether or not it was safe if it slid of the chip I was cleaning. Artic Clean has a slightly orange smell to it indicating to me some kind of oil is used in the mix. hopefully I'm wrong but I don't know. There are lots of folks that swear by the stuff and it is thick enough that if properly applied it won't go anywhere and it does a wicked job cleaning the CPU.

But for the price, I would rather buy a big bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol at 2 bucks then a tiny bottle of Artic Clean for 12 bucks. Plus if the isopropyl alcohol gets on the board it evaporates instantly leaving no residue so it's very very safe IMO. For a cleaning cloth I use a spare cleaning cloth that I get with my glasses works incredibly well.

As for application that's a tough one so many theroies and the differences between temps is not the great from one to the other. I've tried just about every method there is and the easiest one is the pea method. The most important part of thermal paste application isn't so much the method but technique. Too much and the stuff squeezes out the sides and acts more like insulation trapping heat in air bubbles instead of a heat transfer material, to little and the chip won't transfer heat effectively. The pea is the easiest method for rookie builders because the results can be more consistent from application to application. One of the toughest obstacles to getting a good seal between the CPU and the cooler is the cooler itself. Make sure you read and understand the instructions before you apply the cooler. Excessive screwing around with the cooler after you've applied the paste may create air bubbles and you don't want that.

Once you've got the cooler on and your confident you'll be able to get the clips on without much wrestling give the cooler a quarter twist left then right then back to center again. This will force out the air and mate the two surfaces, after this try not to move the cooler and don't lift it.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg