Thread: Hehe...
View Single Post
Old April 30, 2010, 03:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The reason it doesnt make any sense to you m1dget is the fact you are not a programmer. In the real world on large scale projects different groups are responsible for different parts. NO ONE does it all anymore. The broader the scope the more groups are involved the worse things get. Where there is a LIMITED amount of hardware options on Apples this means fewer groups interacting. The more groups that interact....the more kuldges have to be implemented to get it all to work.

MS on the other hand has to work on the majority of equipment that is out there now AND support 20yr old kit. Apple has the luxury of telling their lemmings to upgrade if they dont like it if new the shiny version breaks past compatibility. Windows cant do that and keep the business spectrum happy. Like I said Apple doesnt have this problem as they dont have a business presence outside of some VERY niche areas to alienate.

As for nix and the internet...when was the last time you saw someone use a server for home use...or anything besides its niche area? Nix is great for somethings, but personal computers aint one of them. This is changing SLOWLY but their is a very elitist attitude associated with that niche. You dont here HWC or other PC enthusiasts telling peeps to RTFM, yet that is a very common response in the nix world.

No the idea behind the GUI interface is not simplicity it is EFFICIENCY. Pretty pictures are simple...but not necessarily efficient at getting work done. And I think "apple poweruser" is an oxymoron. What is there to power? You have a walled garden to play in and cant get out of it.

As for BSD and Apple and the kernel. You are dreaming if you think Apple is open source. At least MS isnt as two faced about it as Apple. Apples is a closed source community and like it that way. They have no problems taking ideas from the open source community but are not exactly free with giving.

As for lots of supported hardware. Please, "lots" and MOST are two different things all together. Saying otherwise is foolish and shows your lack of understanding. There are still MANY pieces of kit and models therein that simply wont work in nix. Once again its getting better...but not ready for prime time yet.

And I know lots of programmers (I once was one myself) that hate Apple for their fascist rules and wont touch it w/ a 10 ft pole. Lots of peeps dont like working on Apple OS. There are many examples of Apple seeing a small apple developer, liking his product, watching it get polished and then rolling it into the next upgrade of the OS and telling the developer to FOAD. Widgets was a great example of that.

As for the tired old "windoze freezes". Puhleeze that was over a decade ago. Stop beating a dead horse. XP was very stable. Win 7 is also very stable. Apple Mac OS X also does crash to you know.
For me not being a programmer? Well I beg to differ. I'm not going to link my company's website or any products we have on the market, but let me tell you one thing, you are wrong.
I know how large scale projects works and read a few books on the subject. Though we are a small team, you are not telling me anything new about how those works.

Believe me I understand and don't deny that MS has to work on a wider number of platform than what Apple has to and no wonder why they put so much effort in .NET. Still their work is far from the quality attained by other companies and they can't do anything about it since the base of their work is pretty bad and they would have to rewrite nearly all their code to make it good... and I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell that to a guy that seems to know about large scale (oo) projects.

I'm not sure to fully understand your questions about servers, but you would be surprised the number of people using home servers (if that is your question?).
And for BSD/*nix workstation, well with all the great desktop manager like gnome and kde and the monumental effort in creating and embelishing software that runs on the GUI, it's only a matter of time before people gain interest in those. The misinterpreted word "free" will make them drool and they will jump on it in a near future... unless MS and Apple's marketing gain the upper hand like the usual.
For the classic 'RTFM' and 'google it' response, well it's still the good old unix world and that will never change. We don't like people who can't think, but we will someday have to accept the fact that clueless people are taking over our beloved OSes.
Though you will still see it in most OpenBSD topics and in most of the *nix mailing list... this in undeniable (nubcakes are not really welcome there ).

For the powerusers, it's maybe only me that badly traducted this. I meant that people who are used to Aqua will be able to do more and do it faster than people on Windows.

For Apple and opensource, have fun: Mac OS X 10.6.3 - Source (i did)

For the supported hardware, well sure MS won't have any use of having their OS ran on a toaster or a 68k chip, but it's just to show that when we think that MS has lots of supported platform, they don't really do actually.

What Apple product did the people you know worked on by curiosity?

For the freezing part with the GUI, I meant simply how the window are drawing on the screen and how the threads are handled if the application in the window was to freeze. If a thread locks up under window, you may have to kill explorer to have it terminated. On the other hand on OSX, if the application thread(s) locks up, well you still can draw and have other window draw on it and you can still move it around without any problems. I don't want to go into details but it was just an example for that.
I didn't mean bluescreen or whatnot, you can see that I'm not just a random MS basher ;)