Hardware Canucks - View Single Post - Hehe...
View Single Post
April 30, 2010, 02:21 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
My System Specs
Originally Posted by
Um m1dget it is MUCH easier to trouble shoot a problem in Windows than Mac. If you get a problem in Mac you are screwed as it does not tell you what is wrong. You get a problem in Windows and you get an error code.
Also who cares if the BIOS is running extremely old tech. You don't need a core i7 to run a bios. Although it would be great if the BIOS got an updated GUI.
Apple is crap when you want to run your own hardware. You can't simply put any PCI-e or PCI device into your $3000+ Mac Pro and expect it to work. Mean while any windows computer would have no problems.
With Apple it is a closed system. You do what Apple wants or Apple doesn't allow you to run on Mac. I can tell you developers hate working for the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. Apple handles that the worst way possible. Lets say you put a million dollars into making a game for the iPhone. You don't know if Apple will accept it or not. Then even if Apple accepts it they may remove it later. Also you must use Apple approved developing tools to even be considered into the app store.
And don't get me started on how crappy iTunes is.
Also Apple is not cheap at all. When Apple makes an affordable computer for the average joe than people wont call them expensive. $1000 is too expensive for your lowest end computer. They need something less than $500 but then they would sell as many $1000 entry level Macs.
Don't get me wrong MS makes a lot of mistakes as well.
1) For the troubleshooting problem, I have one question for you: Have you ever tried to troubleshoot or debug (as in -debugging- with a debugger) any piece of software on OSX? I would need an example coming from you to continue arguying on that with you.
2) For the bios, we are talking about an 8bit piece of crap that has to handle the boot process everytime and is limiting the potential basic specs of the computer (big partition anyone?). You should go read a bit about what is really the bios else than "da blue screen where you can OC" and see why we should have moved to EFI for the past decade.
The best analogy that I can think is having brand new austin martin and still have to crank it manually each time you want to start it. It's retarded.
3) You -don't- run your own hardware on a mac. To put it simply, they build an OS then build a computer around it, not the other way around. Simplicity is the key here and stability is the key here.
And why you don't expect to have your pci/e things to work in there? Well if you knew just a bit more about EFI and what drivers are now on that platform you wouldn't even have brought up that argument. Go read about it please.
4)Sure from your opinion Apple is more closed. We call that -STANDARDS- (something we are not really used to anymore in computing). Also a lot of the people developing on the ipod/pad/touch are incompetent programmer always whining about objC being crap and what not and wanting their C# and java and what not...
Cocoa and most of the libraries/SDK that apple gives you are possibly the best on the market to play/work with.
And if you put a million dollar into a damn game and for a certain reason you didn't talk to apple first about the concept or find a way to sign a contract with them, well you deserve to be a failure and loose that much money! Common sense anyone?
5) iTune I can't really talk as I don't use it personally.
6) For the price of entry level macs, did at LEAST went on Apple's site to check the price of the Mini?
Over a 1000$? Nice one
I have no problem discussing/arguing with you, but I have the small feeling that there's still a lot of things you are not fully informed on. It would be good if you could read a bit more on the subject or at least about OSX itself... and again it's not an insult, I mean it.
NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix
Last edited by Arinoth; April 30, 2010 at
. Reason: Double Posting
My System Specs
Intel Pentium 3 500MHz
Ati Rage 128MB
Maxtor 20GB Maxtor 4GB
epic beige case
Liteon CD reader
View Public Profile
Send a private message to m1dget
Find all posts by m1dget